AEDancer

What do they mean by the perfect ballet body?

75 posts in this topic

Ok thank you!

I remember looking in the mirror at home and thinking "I want a smaller torso...",

and then looking in the mirror in the studio whilst I danced and thinking "MY TORSO LOOKS SMALLER!"

So this may be completely incorrect, but I have found the longer I dance (in years, I mean. The long run), the more "Balanchine" my body looks.

Maybe it's the use of muscle when you dance Balanchine technique? I honestly don't know. :) I think ballet can make everyone's body look equally as good, as long as you work hard!

Hey I'm Julianne I've been dancing since I was two and I'm thirteen now. I'm in most advanced classes for my studio but I have no clue how I'm going to get on the competition team? Is it because I don't have a good ballet body?

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, jujuhula!!!

The fact that you are 13 and at the top level of your school makes me think that you are at a more recreational school rather than a vocational one, right? That is fine, of course, because not everyone wants to become a dancer as a career! If you are just looking to dance as exercise and fun, than staying where you are makes sense.

If you are interested in training for a career in professional ballet, than you might consider looking around at professional ballet schools to see if this is something that makes sense to do.

Generally speaking, comp teams are usually inclusive regardless of body types, but if that is a concern of yours, then speaking to your teacher/s as well as your doctor may be a good choice.

CanaryFairy, some mirrors are slightly bent inward or outward and the slightest imperfection in a mirror can make the actual reflection change. Most mirrors are not all the same, so maybe your studio mirror makes your torso look shorter than your home mirror. Not to mention, there are some days where our eyes just seem to see the certain things...:)

I'm 15, 5'3''. [weight removed by moderator as per the rules of BTforD], and have pretty nice feet. My legs aren't extremely long, but I'm more legs than torso. My knees are slightly hyperextended, and I have no chest at all xDD Is this an okay "ballet body"?

It sounds fine, but then there is really no way at all of knowing without seeing you. How about rotation and flexibility?

(I edited your post, above, to remove the weight factor. We do not allow any use of weight numbers on the board.)

Oh, sorry, I forgot about the weight!

I have almost 90 degree turnout on each leg. I have a nice arabesque, and I'm working on my front and side extensions, although I have been told have the potential of really good flexibility, just as long I as stretch frequently ;)

Sounds good, DancingSquirrel. :)

Thanks for you help :)

I know this is an older post, but I have some questions. I'm 15, done growing (I think, even though I grew over Christmas break and my feet shrunk) 5:8 1/2, slightly large but VERY strong feet, overall strong body, longish torso and longish legs. My extensions are fair, more than 90 all around on most days and I'm much more flexible than I had ever hoped to be. Oh, and a substanital chest. I have been dancing for almost eleven years and am in the Advanced section of my class. :ermm: I have interest in becoming a prinicipal dancer, or at least going to professional SIs. However, will my body hold me back?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that despite my tall body, I am a very good jumper.

I know this is an older thread, dancinglifeaway, but have you actually read it from the beginning?

Yes, I have.

Okay, then check out these two threads that Clara76 posted yesterday on the Being a Curvy Dancer thread, here in the YD forum.

Jeez, 5'7" and being called tall? I'm almost 5'11", and until this year I wasn't even the tallest girl in my studio!