Guest fille'smom

Height: Tall dancers - which companies?

137 posts in this topic

I believe Suzanne Farell is 5'7" because I have a picture of her and my daughter who attended Cedar Islands and they were the exact same height at that particular time. Since then my daughter has grown an inch and she was recently cast for snow pas so hopefully her luck will continue! It is encouraging to all who appreciate the taller dancers if everyone continues to post the successes of tall company dancers.

Michele Wiles.....I'm pretty sure she's 5'8".....

When I first met her many years ago she was 5'8" tall. I just read an interview with her where she states that she is 5'9". I guess she grew a little!

Suzanne Farrell is indeed 5'7" tall.

Since this topic is open again, I read through it with interest. What would be the average height for a male dancer? Can a male dancer be too tall as well? Someone recently mentioned to me that they hoped my son wouldn't grow much more (he's 6' at 14). Thoughts? :D

Ballet Bordeaux came to the UK a couple of years ago on a mini tour - their dancers were all tall. In the January edition of Dance Europe many auditions are listed, but there are no height limits mentioned except for Norwegian National ballet stating men should be over 1.75m. All however, ask for photos, and height will be on your C.V. Many auditions are by invitation only so they will not waste your, or their time, if the height is unacceptable.

Bumping up in hopes dancers and parents who've auditioned or have jobs since 2006 will update with more current info to help our Seniors and Trainees auditioning. As ADs change, so does the look of the company.

Just saw that Alonzo King Lines was looking for a female dancer--minimum height 5'7"!

I think you have to be careful about focusing strictly on "tall" or "short" companies. Being the right height can depend on who is in the company at the time. If several tall dancers leave then a dancer who was the right height may be all of a sudden the who now stands out on stage (not in a good way). On the other hand if a company hires a dancer that is not in the same height range as most of the company but they really like that dancer they may all of a sudden look for other dancers who will help make that dancer blend in more. It really comes down to what a company needs for the next season to fill in spaces.

Absolutely correct mmded!!! You most definitely should not limit yourself by excluding places simply on the height scale. However, for parents and dancers on a tight audition budget, who are also auditioning for colleges and who will also need some money left to live should they get a job. It is important to create a list based on something other than pure desire to dance certain places. And height is one of those issues that if you are on the extreme spectrum can help you eliminate a few places out of probability. Especially when faced with auditions on the same day, or a working dancer who only has a few days they can ask off.

Dancers in the mid-height range certainly do not have this as much of an issue, but our dancers on either end, extremely short and extremely tall run into different scenarios. In reality, attend every audition you can, send in packets to as many places as you can. But if you have set a budget that you cannot go over to make this happen develop a probability list and be realistic in your choices.

DD is tall. Her height and her citizenship are at the top of her resume along with her contact information so that her height is very prominent. When she auditioned she did not send off any DVD's but packages that she did very economically by photocopying everything including photographs. She got some responses thanking her for interest but she was indeed too tall. She also got invites and was told after getting there and without even being looked at that she was too tall. It really is hard on young dancers and I wish that AD's would remember what it was like to audition if they were dancers at one time. I think it is tougher these days because there are so many more well trained dancers looking for places and still some dancers from a season ago still looking for full time contracts.

It really is hard on young dancers and I wish that AD's would remember what it was like to audition if they were dancers at one time.

Oh don't we all! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

I got about 5 response notifications today on this topic. either there is a misfire going on here or somebody over there thinks I might have a special interest in this topic. Could be. I did read back a few pages.

Laschwen--you got the notifications because there has been conversation on the thread and you are one of the people who posted on the thread in the past with email notification checked in your profile for the posts you've written on (see post #86, I think). It may have been a combined thread without this same title but with the same subject matter.

Ib Anderson at Ballet Arizona has hired a number of tall ladies -- Kenna Draxton at 6' is the tallest.

Teresa Reichlen newly appointed principal of NYCB is 5'9"! More hope for all us tall dancers. :thumbsup: