Guest fille'smom

Height: Tall dancers - which companies?

137 posts in this topic

Laschwen--you got the notifications because there has been conversation on the thread and you are one of the people who posted on the thread in the past with email notification checked in your profile for the posts you've written on (see post #86, I think). It may have been a combined thread without this same title but with the same subject matter.

Sorry. It looks like I had a glitch on my end. I am getting multiple copies of the same e-mails from others once in a while too.

I did appreciate the irony of getting multiples of this particular topic being very tall myself. I love the latest post about The Anderson having a 6 footer now. No worries of privacy on this particular. That was my maiden name and that side of the family had a bunch of men who were in the 7 foot range in the beginning of the last century.

More good news for the tall dancers! Teresa Reichlen is a gorgeous dancer and I was pretty sure she was up there in height. It was a thrill seeing DD in her first Nutcracker at her residential program this year with 3 other quite tall girls, she doesn't look so out of place up there (vertically) by herself!

taxis....so happy to hear that your tall DD looked right in place on stage! May there be many more occasions for you to enjoy seeing her dance. The time seems to have arrived when tall is definitely in! Many more companies out there beginning to value these tall dancers. I heard, but did not see, that one of the finest performances of the season for Sugarplum at NYCB was given by Kaitlyn Gilliland, who happens to be a lovely tall dancer.

Bumping for additional updates. :)

I'm wondering what is considered "tall" in the ballet world. I see that in the "shorter dancers" thread, one of the posts specified 5'3" and under as short. So, what is considered "tall". While I believe 5"7 and up might be what is considered tall, I wonder what the prospects for 5"9 and up are. My dd is 5'10" and usually doesn't necessarily blend very well as far as corps goes.

In DD's experience, typically, 5' 8" and above was considered "tall". 5' 7" is pushing it, but doesn't seem to get culled out via pre-screens as often.

My dd is 5' 91/2" and is not the tallest woman in her company. She has been told she is too tall for other companies, but some companies seek tall dancers. It all depends on the AD's vision and need. As it happens, PNB was looking for shorter dancers when she was auditioning, and a company she was at decided they were going shorter at that time. Her current company is in a country known for tall people. Height will limit some roles and open some other roles up. It is a wonderful and unique gift to be tall, encourage your daughter to use it to her advantage!! And in so many beautiful pieces,, what an advantage it is!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/Pennsylvania-Ballet-fires-the-Sugar-Plum-Fairy.html

Pennsylvania ballet just fired a principal dancer for being too tall - how sad that an artistic director hired a dancer knowing her height and then fired her because of her height. Good luck to Sara - I'm sure she will find a place where she is appreciated.

It happens. Artistic vision can be a fickle thing. :(

Wow, Balletpop. Thanks for the link. That is really harsh! This is a good reminder of the realities of professional dancing.

Isn't this a new director who let many go last season? Maybe he is not the one who hired her. In ballet, there is no guarantee of keeping a job!

We don't want to get :off-topic: here.

The linked article answers the questions you asked, Lady Elle. :wink:

Sorry... Please delete

Well I guess we can remove Pennsylvania Ballet from the 'Tall Dancer' list!

I agree that 5'7" and up is usually considered tall. DD is 5'7" and was told she was too tall for the first professional company she danced with, so she moved on.