Guest fille'smom

Height: Tall dancers - which companies?

135 posts in this topic

Well I guess we can remove Pennsylvania Ballet from the 'Tall Dancer' list!

At least for the next few seasons ---if you are 5'11". How old tall is too tall for the current AD may still be a moving target. :). There is a lot of play between 5'7" and 5' 11".

A couple posts were removed as straying off-topic.

Rather than continuing to discuss a particular AD's decision regarding a specific dancer, let's return to the general topic at hand: sharing information regarding companies with a penchant for "tall" dancers. We will do well to keep in mind that preferences for particular heights are TRENDS and are an ever-changing, organic, fluid aesthetic to a large degree.

Now back to sharing current observations, first-experiences, and first-hand knowledge. :thumbsup:

Dutch National Ballet (including the Junior Company) still prefers taller dancers, even 169 cm for women is considered too short unless you are exceptional!

Thanks Clutterbug. I am so glad I found this topic! Does anyone know other companies currently hiring tall dancers? My 5'8 DD is 16 and trying to plot her future course. She is hoping she has stopped growing!

I know when my niece took a company class at Ballet West she felt like an ant.  She's 5'4" and felt most of the girls were over 5'8".  That was a year ago.  

Complexions Contemporary Ballet has several VERY tall dancers.  I would estimate two to be over 6'3" in flat shoes based on the height of a male I saw them standing next two.  And a couple of others in the 5'9" range.  Gorgeous dancers on stage.  

They also have a couple of shorter dancers as well.  

I would love to see those Complexions dancers.   Will keep an eye out.   I was thinking Alonzo King was/is very tall friendly.  I forgot the name of one woman who is close to 6 feet tall who was with them.  In photographs she looked very elegant and powerful. 

I saw LINES Ballet taking class once and they were all incredibly tall and long. 

You might be thnking of Drew Jacoby.  She trained with SFB/PNB then danced with Lines.  She then went off and partnered with Rubinald Pronk (?) and formed Jacoby & Pronk.  She now dances with Nederlands Dans Theatre.  I believe she's 5'11" - I've searched tall dancers for my almost (might be) 5'11" dancer!  She's beautiful!!!

Correction: she is not with Nederlands now.  I think she does contract work with various companies

Are you perhaps thinking of Courtney Henry?  She is 6'1".  She is a stunning dancer and currently dancing with them.  I recently  saw them perform live (mesmerizing!), and I would definitely say that they seemed to be trending tall with their females.   

Yes. I think so. 

It does seem there are opportunities for tall dancers, which is great to hear. Thank you all for this information! Sometimes it is hard to tell how tall the dancers actually are on stage, and I guess it would be difficult to estimate average heights at various companies. 

Is American National Ballet a brand new company?

The second paragraph of the article begins "The American National Ballet will open its first season in the fall in Charleston, S.C.," so it does appear that it is a new company.