vagansmom

Resumes: How to Write an Effective Dance Resume

42 posts in this topic

Missy - either way is fine - just make sure you keep the format that you choose consistant throughout!

Thank you sooooo much for your help pattypirouette!!!!!! I feel much confident in writing my resume now!

Did you look at the hyperlinked website that is on the first page of this thread? If not, you really ought to. It's been referred to for good reason - it's very helpful! :D

Glad you thought so, jopsasoli. :o And welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers - I hope you'll become involved in other discussions on the board, as well! :P

I'm auditioning for a nutcracker and I need to have a resume and photo. For the performance section of the resume, should the roles be listed in chronological order and include dates? Or should I leave the dates out and list the roles in order of importance?

I would list the roles in order of importance, or start with the most recent roles that you have danced. Roles that you danced in younger years would be less important to list for this type of resume but would show that you have performance experience.

Do you think I should put the dates next to the roles?

Katherine, I suggest you just include the year (not the month or days) with the role. I prefer in descending order (most recent year first)

Is there a place on the web to actually see different dance resume typed up? I know there are books to buy, but really just wanted to see some examples without having to buy anything??

I'm planning on attending open company auditions this year, but I have heard it's a good idea to send the companies a resume, photos, and cover letter before the audition so that they may remember you/recognize you at the actual audition. Is this a good idea, and if so, what do you write in your cover letter as your purpose for sending the materials?