Mel Johnson

Extension

40 posts in this topic

Your basic answer is contained in Ms. Leigh's post #7 above. All the stretches are good for extension, but what you're describing seems to be a failure of the other part of extension, strength! You need to practice not only the things which promote getting the leg to altitude, but also those things which hold it there. You have to make considerable use of the muscles which are under the leg when it's turned out, and also the abdominal muscles in order to hold the leg in an extended position.

my knees are also hypoextened and i found that sitting on the floor with my legs straight in front of me, and then straightening my legs as hard as possible for 2 minutes at a time, helped me have me knees look less bent during class.

I have Hyperextended knees and if anyone out there has them too dont worry there is stiil hope for you.

All I really need to do is pull up my knee caps and think about it alot then i'm fine. Sometimes my teachers tell me that hyperextention is ok if you're doing an arabesque but not ok when you're on point.

Yes I have a problem with extension too. Considering that I'm naturally flexible really much; I just can't raise my leg higher than maybe 110 degress and I can't keep it there longer than 2 seconds. Last day I ran across my gymnast friend from highschool and she told me that she had become a coach and I asked her how to develop that ability and she recommended using "ankle weights". I already have 2 which are 1.1 pounds each but I just don't know where to start; even without weights on my ankle I have a hard time raising my leg. What can I do? Is there aything else that I can do about it?

I can take only 2 classes a week for 1 hour each because of financial problems but I have an opportunity to attend a gym as much as I would like (something like gold membership because of my father)and I keep asking my ballet teacher if I should attend a gym or not but he says "no;ballet would be enough" but I'm over-worried about that and I feel guilty to sit at home and wait for my ballet classes when I could develop enough strenght to hold my leg up. And since I've read that running and cycling are bad for dancers (they say that they shorten achilles?) I don't know what to do at the gym. Sorry this post came out long=) Pleaseee help=(

Edited by skyish

Your teacher is right, do more ballet. A LOT more ballet! Spend your time at the studio, not the gym. Find a way. Offer to help with the desk, the children's classes, cleaning up, whatever it takes, in exchange for more classes. Nothing is going to improve with only 2 hours a week. You need 2 hours a day!

And don't use ankle weights. Cycling is not so bad, but running is bad for most dancers because they run turned out, which is incorrect, and therefore not healthy for the bones and joints. It's not an achilles problem.

Ah, the thing is; I've already asked for help to get more lessons and it didn't help sadly. And my family does nothing to help me; the one who pays for my ballet lessons is my fiancé who knows how much I want to be good at it after years so I'm stuck. I've visited maybe 40 studios but they all said "you have a platin in your leg, you are 20, and you have gained weight especially on your thighs and we don't offer adult classes so you don't have a chance why don't you try something else?" although I have 7 years of experience; only studio I could find was this and this studio is a very special place where all the teachers are principal, soloist dancers and I can only take private lessons which cost really much. Turkey hasn't got a proper working system especially about ballet and it is really difficult to do something about it once you are 20=( And I cannot work at home because again, some other teacher said that working on your own makes everything worse and I'm being more and more desperate about that...

So you say there is no hope for me with 2 classes a week=( Maybe I should really try something else.. Thanks anyway=)(sorry for going off-topc =( )

Edited by Victoria Leigh

Sorry, skyish, I did not know you are an adult, or about the plate in the leg. As an adult student, please continue to get what you can, and enjoy it. Two lessons a week is certainly better than nothing, it's just that you can't have a lot of high expectations with that, especially with only one hour classes.

Sorry, skyish, I did not know you are an adult, or about the plate in the leg. As an adult student, please continue to get what you can, and enjoy it. Two lessons a week is certainly better than nothing, it's just that you can't have a lot of high expectations with that, especially with only one hour classes.

Ok thanks for your help=) I'm actually moving up faster than I think, maybe my 7 year education including pre-pro is helping me=) Thanks again=)))

Your basic answer is contained in Ms. Leigh's post #7 above. All the stretches are good for extension, but what you're describing seems to be a failure of the other part of extension, strength! You need to practice not only the things which promote getting the leg to altitude, but also those things which hold it there. You have to make considerable use of the muscles which are under the leg when it's turned out, and also the abdominal muscles in order to hold the leg in an extended position.

...Mr. Johnson...my extensions are actually decent. above 90 and my shoulder...at least on my right. (this is referring to the side extension) the only porblem is, is that on the lift, it feels like there is a barrier that is not letting me get my leg higher, like a ligament or tendon in the way. it is hard just to raise my knee. but, i can take that leg with my hand and stretch it up there, just when i developpe, it feels like a tendon has to move in order for my leg to go higher. Do you know what this is? and if so, what can i do to help this? Thanks so much!

Then what you have there is a rather pronounced case of "-leggedness", just as there is right-handedness and left-handedness. If you can't get the leg to stretch on the left side, then there's no hope of getting strength into it. Try edging the left working leg a bit to the front of straight à la seconde and see if that doesn't free up the joint to allow movement along that axis. Also remember to lift the weight completely out of the supporting (right) hip.

hi. I'm not sure if this post is in the right place so feel free to move it anywhere :D

Anyway, it's about arabesque turns, or pirouettes en dedans in arabesque (i'm not sure of the correct term?)

My arabesque in adage is decent, slightly above 90 degrees, with correct placement. But I'm having trouble getting my leg up to 90 in arabesque turns. When i do get it up, i can't sustain the balance.

Is there any way for me to do this or any muscle groups or anything in particular I need to concentrate on when doing these turns, so that i can get my leg a little higher at least? (By the way, right now, it's about 45 degrees)

Thanks!

Eryn, it's really just time and work and patience :D When you add the turning motion to a position, especially arabesque, it is more difficult to sustain the height of the leg. It may take you a while to find the right degree of "forward and upward" movement over your supporting leg.

hmmm...two drastically different definitions. I shall have to replay vast sections of my life in my head in order to see what mass confusion I may have caused:)

I have a hard time with extinding my leg into the air. I don't know why i'm having so much trouble getting my dumb leg up more than 90 degrese. Any tips on how to get my leg higher?

Yes-- I seem to have to same problem. Especially my left leg. I can get it up pretty high, I just can't hold it! How do I improve on this?

Hello GetThePointe?, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :)

Your question has been asked many, many times here on Ballet Talk, and the answer is always the same....patience and more work! The flexibility comes before the strength, generally, and it just takes more time, physical maturity, and a lot of work, but it will get there! :)