cececinderella

Ballet schools in California - Orange County

130 posts in this topic

OCballet, DD went to V&T for several summers when we went to CA and tried to combine summer vacation with some ballet training. The teachers are well known and very knowledgable. They are Russians and both graduated from Bolshoi Ballet academy. This school is not as big as D.Kulev's or Southland but they also provide good training. You can stop there at any time and take drop in class. Good luck!

I'd like to ask what style of training your dd prefers. Seems like all of the above recommendations are Vaganova schools. If you're looking for a different style, then I would highly recommend the Maple Conservatory of Dance. They have the ABT curriculum. My dd attended summer programs there when she was age 10 and 11. We considered having her there as a year-round student, but the location was too far for us. I have great respect for Mr. Maple and many of his teachers (Mr. Inskeep is wonderful). Maybe you can try their summer program to get a feel for the school? They used to have a very flexible schedule, where you can only attend for a couple weeks.

@ Balletmom: Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Southland. May I ask what style of ballet did your DD's prior school teach? If it was different, did your daughter find the training very different from what she was used to? I am not sure yet which location my DD would attend if she decided on this school. Is one better or different from the other? We are committed to my DD's current school until after recitals, but a drop in class would be a good idea to help her decide if Southland and Vaganova training is right for her.

@dancestar: Thank you for the information about Southland. I very much appreciate your input.:-)

Edited by OCballet

@Lovemyjob: Thank you so much for your comparison of Southland and Dmitri Kulev. It is incredibly helpful! Do you know at approximately what age range do the girls go on pointe? Thank you!

@WAballet: Thank you so much. I will certainly look into V&T. They look like a great school, too. Do you know what age range the girls go on pointe? Thanks!

@miodus: Thank you so much for your thoughts on Charles Maple. No, I am not sure if I am looking for a Vagonova style program. My DD's school teaches classical ballet, so that is what she is used to. I think that's a great idea to have my DD try some classes in summer. Maple Conservatory seems to have a great program. Thanks!

Edited by OCballet

We really are getting more than a little :offtopic: for the focus/intent of this thread, I.e., a listing of pre-pro schools in the area.

OCBallet, for more specific information on the individual programs, you will want to check their websites and follow up with the program folks. For more generalized information regarding the syllabus of various training schools (e.g., Vaganova, Cechetti, 'classical' , etc), we have many threads discussing these terms, basic differences/similarities, etc, on the Board. I'd recommend you do a search using various terms and drop in on the resulting threads to begin getting a feel for how these things fit together and how they may impact what you are looking for. Feel free to revive old or dormant threads with questions you still have.

@OCBallet- Tracy Dee Academy in Placentia is another OC ballet school that trains at a pre professional level. Both my daughters dance there and it's everything I want. it's a gem of a small studio. And regarding the style of ballet they teach it is classical ballet with the Balanchine technique. This is what sets this studio apart because they receive this beautiful technique. Many of Tracy's girls are snapped up as young as 15, the last two to go to professional are now dancing with Nevada Ballet. Tracy Dee is hosting a SI audition for Milwaukee Ballet at their studio March 2nd .. Great opportunity and very soon. Good luck in your search!

@ dancemaven: I'm sorry! I'll do the searches you suggested.

@nikki79: Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will look into that school, too. :-)

OCBallet,

All of the programs you mentioned would be able to offer top notch training, but just as an FYI, since you've gotten lots of endorsements for South Bay, the two other programs (Long Beach and Maple) are RDA companies, while South Bay is not.

Cakers, do you mean Southland? South Bay Ballet in Torrance is an RDA company.

Thank you, cakers. I appreciate the information about the RDA schools. I admit that I had to look up RDA to understand what it is. Clearly, I don't know much about ballet.:-) The organization seems to do a lot of great things for kids and ballet, so I will keep this in mind when deciding on a school.