thebill

How old were you when you started?

116 posts in this topic

dancersteven--where was your first pro job!?

In South Carolina, but I only stayed there for one season.

S.

I only hope I can get a professional job starting as late as you!

I was 48, with no previous experience.

Dick

I was three, now im 18

I started at 27 :thumbsup: , quit at 30 :shrug: , then started back when I was 47 :) . Now I'm 56 and still dragging myself into class :thumbsup: .

Started at 56; now 59.

I was 50 !!

I started 2years ago when I was 25 . I did not know ballet existed and had never heard of it untill then due to the cultures and countries I grew up in. But now I am trying to be professional.(Please do not laugh , I know it is impossible)

But now I am trying to be professional.(Please do not laugh , I know it is impossible)

Nonsense. It's late, but not impossible. I believe Dance Magazine (maybe Pointe) had an article in the last year or so about a male dancer in the Montreal who started in his early 20's. If I recall correctly, he's now a soloist in a major Canadian company. I also know of a guy who started at 21 and is now in the corps of the San Jose Ballet.

But now I am trying to be professional.(Please do not laugh , I know it is impossible)

Nonsense. It's late, but not impossible. I believe Dance Magazine (maybe Pointe) had an article in the last year or so about a male dancer in the Montreal who started in his early 20's. If I recall correctly, he's now a soloist in a major Canadian company. I also know of a guy who started at 21 and is now in the corps of the San Jose Ballet.

I am sorry this is getting off topic. But are there any classical companies around that would bother to look at a person who is close to 30 and has only few years of ballet experience? I think it is more than likely that companies would turn me down before actually seeing me.

The only way you will find out for sure is to go out there and try!