thebill

How old were you when you started?

116 posts in this topic

43, a year ago. Sort of fell into it: by the time my wife (who started two years ago) and the two boys (7 and 4) were doing it I thought I may as well! I'm a martial artist (tai chi, karate, iaido and other bits and pieces) so it's not completely new to me in a way. I'd always had a sympathy for ballet, but it wasn't something that was on my todo list.

43, a year ago. Sort of fell into it: by the time my wife (who started two years ago) and the two boys (7 and 4) were doing it I thought I may as well! I'm a martial artist (tai chi, karate, iaido and other bits and pieces) so it's not completely new to me in a way. I'd always had a sympathy for ballet, but it wasn't something that was on my todo list.

Entire family takes ballet classes? That is freaking awesome!

The word you're looking for is "nuts".

The seven year old and my wife have passed grade 1 and are going to be doing two classes a week, I'm doing one formal class and all three of us are doing an additional strengthening/pointe prep/stunt class in some sort of relays. The four year old only does one class, obviously.

Show rehearsal time last summer was crazy.

This is on top of martial arts and music classes and horse riding.

I was 14. Even thats pretty late at my school

I was 21, and did the Intermidiate Foundation exam from RAD not even 2 years later. :D

Started ballet when I was 40. Initially, I was using ballet as a device to develop my core and improve my conditioning as a competitive Masters Swimmer. Since I was not taking ballet for its own sake I was never very consistent with my lessons. Sometimes there would be months between classes. Several years later I am more interested in ballet for its own sake. I remain at the beginner or advanced beginner stage, but my goal is to improve to develop competence in the intermediate level. Swimming and ballet have been great friends to my aging body.

I had my first ballet classes for a role in a musical when I was 10.

After having quite an active dance life with other dances I restarted ballet last year when I was 40.

I started when I was 35 (still) in modern and six months later...ballet took me.

I was 46 when looking for something with dance and stumbled into ballet. Took modern/contemporary a year later as addition.

Never looked back, met my boyfriend there, too :whistling: .

I take now class 3 times a week. But Ballet is not enough, I need the raw emotions of contemporary as an addition to the artificiality of ballet - and some rolling on the floor.

Old_Faun

(Rolling on the floor!) Ugh, It's not very princely! LOL

Yay, rolling on the floor - done that yesterday. In contemporary class :grinning: .

I'm not the that princly type anyway - classic ballet is nice and aestetic, but most time I like more emotions in dance. But ballet allows me to "survive" contemporary killer class - when you can't do straight ballet turns, you can't do some crazy off-balance turns and jumps.

So yes, I'm more faun than prince.