maksimate

CPYB

659 posts in this topic

thuanphung, biking is probably OK for the summer program, but I would think twice for the school year unless we are talking about a very short distance. Classes and rehearsals are finished after dark during the school year. As far as terrain goes, Carlisle is in the Cumberland Valley and is quite flat. There are mountains/hills that surround the Cumberland valley, protecting Carlisle (and Harrisburg) somewhat, at times, from the wrath of the weather felt in Pittsburgh, on the east coast, and in northern NY state. Kind of nice, sometimes, like now. DC and the east coast will get the storms, but somehow they miss it here.

Thuanphung, I've been at CPYP now since September and biking has been my only mode of transportation. It isn't always the most comfortable, but it is definitely doable. As long as you dress appropriately for the weather, and you get a decent bike, you can bike in almost all weather. I actually live about a 5 min walk from the warehouse, and even closer to the barn. So I mainly use the bike for my job. There are some other dancers that rely on bike as well. I even ride at night and personally feel quite safe. There typically isn't many people out at night in Carlisle. Do what works best for you.

My 14 year old daughter is planning on attending CPYB in September. I'm looking for another family or two to share a home with (parent could rotate responsibilities). Please let me know if interested.

summer03 and smlbal ....here is my email doclisa@ptd.net. You can contact me at any time. Thank you.....

I wanted to post about an earlier comment that said that not many dancers get asked to leave the program. This has not been our experience. I have a boy at CPYB - and he's had THREE different roommates over the course of his 1.5 year stay that have all been asked to leave with no notice - for things that IMO, are not worthy of expulsion. Suffice it to say that CPYB runs a very tight ship. They are (as a moderator called them) a "ballet boot camp" - they don't mess around. This is not a program for the faint of heart. And yes, they do favor barn babies so if this is going to upset your dancer, then it's not the place for them.

Our son has learned much and improved greatly in the last 1.5 years. He is going to a three letter school this summer and is hoping to be asked to stay (he auditioned behind the scenes on Sundays as CPYB does not encourage dancers to go to SIs). He feels that CPYB helped to prepare him for this outcome but it was not an easy road. He was unduly berated at times and as you can imagine it was difficult for him to lose 3 roommates that he had developed close friendships with. Behind the scenes, the dancers support each other as it is a difficult and strenuous environment. It is not a place where you will likely get a lot of emotional support (or much in the way of career counseling).

Housing is an issue. I know two wonderful host moms near the studio that aren't on the official housing list - and it baffles me (my son lived with one of them last summer - and her home is lovely - next to the parking lot of the studio with four dancers). So just be aware that there are good options outside the sanctioned CPYB list. Dickinson also has a housing list that can be helpful - and Craigslist is a good source (just be sure to study the map and find something within 4-5 blocks of the studio warehouse. In my opinion, it's important to get housing as close as possible to the studio and if your student is going to go to the local high school, to the school as well (which is only 2 blocks from the studio).

Wow! It seems hard enough to set up housing. They should make it as easy as possible so it is one less hurdle students have to go through. If the school isn't being responsive maybe a separate off site list serve should be set up to facilitate easier housing options.

Yes Moxie it is a little difficult I am finding for outside people to get the full scoop. This is one of the reasons I joined this site was to be able to network with other parents and dancers. Sending your child away and not having a community for information makes it extremely uncomfortable. Networking with other parents even being a parent here at CPYB makes it more comfortable to be like home.

Housing is a big thing here and sad that it is not more open, available, and worked on together.

Don't believe that CPYB is the only place for your dancer to get "great technique".

Edited by abrotschul

I will second boydancermom's comments above and will add that some students that clearly should be asked to leave are allowed to stay.

Personal bias reigns supreme at CPYB in all matters, especially in casting.

Your dancer will not receive any support from CPYB, emotional or otherwise. In fact, be prepared for exactly the opposite of support. The extreme personal bias creates a situation where talented dancers with wonderful potential are torn down to justify casting decisions. Ditto for constructive and useful career counseling because in order to provide honest feedback for career preparation the person providing the feedback would have to admit the personal bias exists. Your student needs to be prepared to "go it alone" in every sense.

SI scholarships and SI leveling are very eye opening for CPYB students and more often than not, reflect exactly the opposite of the artistic choices made at CPYB.

Regarding the topic of the housing list at CPYB.  It doesn't get updated very often so the information might be dated.  I think the last update was at the start of the AY16/17.  CPYB does screen the folks on the list - they require all clearances (FBI, State Police, and child abuse) from those adults in charge, and they will also remove people from the list if there are any incidents that come up or too many complaints from parents.  I would be wary of looking on Craigs list for a responsible adult to watch your child when you are living hours away....    

Edited by dancemaven
Removed self-promotion/advertising per BT4D Rules and Policies.

Hi! I was hoping to gain a little insight into the possibilities/ relationship between CPYB and Dickinson College. I started dancing at three and began training seriously in ballet in high school. I attended CPYB's, Houston Ballet's, PBT's ( on scholarship), and San Francisco Ballet's (in the highest level) summer program. I quit ballet this year (my senior year of high school) because I was dealing with a lot of personal problems and having trouble dealing with the pressures. I really needed this time off, I have a much better mindset and have no regrets. However, I have missed ballet all this year. Academics are very important to me though and very recently I began feeling that attending Dickinson College and training at CPYB would be the perfect solution for me. I would want to enroll full time at Dickinson College, live in the dorms, and primarily put my academics first. If I do this, to what extent would I be able to train at CPYB? I am not sure if pursuing a professional career is exactly what I desire any longer. I am just beginning to navigate a possible re-entrance into the ballet world; I apologize if I am not being very clear. Please let me know if there is anything I could clarify. Thank you for any insight/ information/ advice!

Isn't the CPYB schedule about 30 hours per week?

Yes. Schedule varies and increases by level, the most advanced dancers are at 30 hrs/week

Dancer1717 I admire your openness and honesty! CPYB is not just for students who want to be professional. As ballethouse said, the amount of hours per week depends on the level you are in, which is where you are placed according to your ability. There are many opportunities here at CPYB, which I have been learning as a dance Mom of a serious student. Dickinson actually has their ballet/dance classes at CPYB, this could be an option for you also. My advice would be to contact CPYB and Dickinson to see the possibilities for you to pursue both your academics and ballet! Best of luck with your journey.