Guest Mollieochie

lengthening muscles

11 posts in this topic

I have read from previous posts about doing stretches to lengthen the muscles. But no one has ever stated what stretches to do. I have short and thick thigh muscles, and was wondering how to make them more thin. Would I do stretches to lengthen the muscles to accomplish this? If so, which stretches?

Also, I was wondering how to make calf, arm, and thigh muscles defined, but not bulky. And, how do I get rid of some of the fat on the upper arms, and thighs with out bulking up? More stretches???? :)

Thanks in advance, and sry if this was confusing! :(

Mollie, ballet technique is actually designed to stretch and lengthen muscles, if one is working correctly. It will not build bulky muscles when they are being used and stretched in the right way. Thighs will bulk from sitting in the hips and and keeping the weight too far back, but they will not if you are well trained and aligned and know how to place your weight.

That said, there are some people who are genetically built with a bulkier muscle structure, and there is not a lot you can do about that.

Muscle definition also comes from usage, and dancers legs should almost automatically have good muscle definition. The arms for female dancers will not get the kind of work that creates definition, however this should not be a problem if they are not overweight.

Fat is lost primarily through a good nutrition program, which can be addressed on that forum, but not here on Young Dancers. :)

Thank you too!

During class, I try to stretch constantly, which helps lengthen muscles and prevent cramps. Stretching the quads by grabbing your foot and holding it to your rear works well. :wacko:

I stretch during class too, and I have found that it really helps my muscles to stay long. Basically the only stretches that I do for lengthening muscles are the regular old ones that you do in PE. (Runner stretch for calf muscles, 'Flamingo' as my old pe teacher used to call if for your thighs... that is the one that adagiogirl just mentioned.) Just make sure that you stand up while stretching at the end of combinations or else some teachers might get a annoyed and kick you out of class, or tell you to get up. (No laying on the floor stretches) That happened to my friend once. :( lol

I just wanted to share my personal success. For the past year, I’ve been stretching my legs in between each bar exercise, especially calf stretches, and the muscles in my legs have gotten significantly longer and leaner. I’m amazed at what a little stretching can do!

Good luck!

Ladies of the ballet, a "bar" is where one goes to order alcoholic beverages. In ballet, we use a "barre". :)

what stretches do i do to lengthen muscles?

beccarin113

The stretches that you learn in class, if done correctly, will help. There are different stretches and barre exercises which are designed specifically to both work and lengthen certain muscles. The best stretch for the quad muscles is the "runners" stretch, where you stand parallel, facing the barre, bend one knee taking your foot towards your derrière, hold the foot on the top of the instep (straight, not sickled), maintain correct alignment and posture, and hold for a slow count of 8. Repeat with other leg, and then repeat again with each leg.

about arm muscles I have a question. My arms have very defined muscles and aren't very long. My teachers try to help me make my arms look longer but nothing has worked. Does anyone have any suggestions for making my arms look longer. Maybe a stretch or something?