AnneT

Ballet Schools in Arizona - Phoenix area

53 posts in this topic

Any recent info on this program? Thank you so much!

What program? This is a general thread for pre-pro schools in the Phoenix area? If you are asking about the Ballet Arizona Studio Company, please ask on its dedicated thread---so we can keep its information in our one-thread shopping mode . :)

I'm sorry. I was asking about the school of ballet arizona pre-prof. program. I didn't find a thread on this. Is that correct?

You are in the right place then! :D Hopefully, someone will have some information to share with you.

Just fyi for anyone out there pre-pro shopping, Master Ballet Academy has moved to Scottsdale, near Scottsdale Road and Thunderbird.

Hello, my teen daughter is in the pre pro program at the School of Ballet Arizona. We were previously at a competition ballet school and a couple summers ago she went to the SI at SBAZ and There was no turning back, she found her second home.

I am thrilled with all aspects of the program. Carlos Valcárcel is the artistic director of the school and he is excellent, passionate about teaching, funny, a talented choreographer and has elevated the training at the school. My daughter has really progressed since moving there. I didn't realize all of the benefits to being a company school. She is surrounded by great role models, has been on a professional stage and I continue to be in awe of her classmates, just a great bunch of kids. She went from not wanting to be a professional to setting her goal on one day making it into studio company.

The stats will tell you few make it...if she does I think alot will be because of the professionalism and training at sbaz, if she doesn't, she has picked up many life long skills by being there. At this point I won't let her homeschool, so we are looking at ASA, which has an agreement with sbaz and the PPP level which now counts as their art.

Moving her has by far been the best decision for my daughter and I have seen the positive environment flow into other aspects of her life like school and her self confidence. Imagine my surprise when she got accepted by all the big 3 letter schools (New York too) and has decided to spend one more summer at sbaz before traing away in the summer.

The best thing to do is try a class. I believe it is all about the fit and we got so lucky to find this program when she was only 12 (she just turned 14). Feel free to message me or call Alie at sbaz and she can provide more info and set up a trial. Good luck in your search.

Edited by Azelizabeth

Azelizabeth

How many levels are there in the ppp?

There are 2 levels of PPP, my daughter is in PPP2 right now, but in her last conference she was told she has a great chance at moving to PP1 in the fall. The feedback during the twice per year conferences are very helpful (although just the student attends). Summer may be a great time for your daughter to try it out, that's what we did and ended up staying. I think their SI is one of the best kept secrets, lots of dancing and the classes are a very manageable size.

Thank you very much Azelizabeth. I actualy auditioned and got accepted to their summer and year-round program. So, yes I am considering it! :)

I heard the ppp's get to perform with the company sometimes. Is this correct?

How many and what classes do the ppp's have each day?

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of Master Ballet Academy and could provide me with some information on the training they offer? They appear to have produced some very good dancers! I'm searching for a pre-pro school right now and am looking for more options, so if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

nataliedancer - my dd trained at Master Ballet Academy from the summer it opened (she was 12), until she graduated 2 years ago. She did spend one year at a residential ballet program and the training wasn't even close to what she was getting at MBA so she went back. I can probably answer any questions you have. DD was a Trainee with BalletMet 2 years ago at the age of 18 and is now a paid Apprentice at Oregon Ballet Theatre. MBA currently has two 16 year olds leaving for the Studio Company at ABT in the fall and the younger kids are winning all kinds of awards at YAGP and, just recently, at the World Ballet Competition. I highly recommend them if you are truly serious about training. It's fairly hard core and most of the kids home school. My dd home schooled her last two years there. Let me know if I can help with specific questions, but I would look at their website to get class information. The first half of the summer session is sold out, but I think they still have a few spots open for the second session.

Thank you lorimac13! I was wondering what style of teaching they use and what the process for admissions is like. Are there any international students there?

nataliedancer - The style is mostly Vaganova based but they don't follow a strict curriculum. They normally take anyone who wants to train - they will ask your age and experience and then have you take a class in the level they think you will belong and move you based on what they observe. They had international students off and on, from Poland.

They also have kids from other states, but there is no housing. The kids that come from other states stay with family members that live in Phoenix. You do have to audition for the Pre-Professional Division and those classes are held during the day, so all the kids in pre-pro home school or are able to leave school early, but I do think almost everyone in pre-pro home schools.

They are in the middle of their Summer Intensive - Session 1. My dd happens to be home for a week, so we were just at the studio to visit and see all her friends and the owners. There is someone answering the phone during the day, so if you have other questions that I can't answer, feel free to call the studio and be sure to check out the website. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the help once again! How difficult is it to enter the pre-pro Programme? And do you think they would take slightly behind dancers? thank you so much for responding to my queries! Also, do all the girls have great facility to start of with or do they believe it to be something trainable?

Hi nataliedancer - My answers are based on past experience - I am not a member of MBA's staff. They have two levels of pre-pro during the year. They split it by age mostly and not by ability, as far as I know. I would need to know more about you such as your age and years of training and back round and I'm not sure that is appropriate on this board. It is helpful to have a good facility to start with at that studio, but if you are willing to work hard, they are very good teachers and will work with you. As for being slightly behind, they would have to make that call once they see a video of you or watch you take a class. They moved to a new facility, so they do have more room now and things have probably changed since my dd left two years ago. Again, I think you should call and talk to them for more information, because my knowledge may be out of date. If you live in Phoenix, you have nothing to lose by taking a class in the fall or signing up for the second session of the SI. If you live out of state or out of the U.S., you would need to find housing.

The only way to really find out what is possible is to try, so please send them an email and a video of you have one, or come and take a class. They always have plenty of new students when the fall season starts, so you wouldn't be the only new person. All of the contact information is on the website. If you don't live in AZ, it might be a good idea to get your parents involved. Good Luck!!!