Guest Rachel88

University of Oklahoma

546 posts in this topic

Hello, I would like to ask about scholarship opportunities.  I can research info on academic scholarships and the leadership scholarship but I would love to hear some first hand experience with ballet scholarships.  First, are they very generous?  And second, has anyone been awarded a scholarship via video audition?

thanks

DD was offered a small dance scholarship her first (auditioned at the school) and second year.  For her third year she was offered a much larger scholarship which was based on her passion for dance and technique. Were any so big that it made paying easier, no but every bit helped.  

OU's academic scholarships are also very good.  

I echo dcns. Ballet ones are spread among as many dancers as possible which means they are smaller dollar figures. OU's academic scholarships are from where the main financial support comes. OU prides itself on its academically gifted student body. Our DS auditioned at the school. If you can make the trip, I highly recommend it. The audition gives an opportunity to take the pulse of the program, talk with dancers, and sometimes see a performance. Fit is very important in this kind of college experience.

I have a note that says admission decisions to OU are done on somewhat of a rolling basis. That was based on a conversation with an admissions rep. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear about ballet admissions? DD is planning on going to the October audition.

My DD daughter went to the October audition last year and she heard back within 3-4 weeks from the Ballet dept, if I remember correctly. She also heard back from the University about academic admission within 3-4 weeks of having submitted the application.

Thank you, suesuedressage. Sure would be nice to have some information in hand as earlier as November next fall!

Edited to add that I emailed the department to ask about this and was told dancers will hear back 2-4 weeks after they audition.