pointebabe4ever

Mercyhurst College

138 posts in this topic

Casserina,

Not sure about your questions, but the Mercyhurst website says that they only award scholarships through specific auditions. If they won't be considering scholarships at the early admittance audition this may be something you want to consider as well.

Yeah I wasn't expecting to get a scholarship or anything like that, just admittance into their 2010-2011 year dance program. My teacher says that I should at least audition to get see the style and what they expect and that even if I don't get in I'll know what to work on for next year :thumbsup: my family and I will have to see if it fits into our schedule.

I emailed the school and they said the early admittance auditioners would be considered for scholarships, but wouldn't hear back about scholarships until next year after the other scholarship auditions. It does sound like there is no downside to auditioning early. I wish we lived closer and I would send my daughter too!

Yeah I wasn't expecting to get a scholarship or anything like that, just admittance into their 2010-2011 year dance program. My teacher says that I should at least audition to get see the style and what they expect and that even if I don't get in I'll know what to work on for next year :thumbsup: my family and I will have to see if it fits into our schedule.

Audition anyway! I'm a freshman currently, and I, too, auditioned at the early bird audition. However, I was informed the same day I received my acceptance letter that I also received a scholarship. The earlier you audition, the more scholarship money there is available. You can also come back and audition again next fall if you don't get in now. And yes, they do take into consideration that you have a year left to improve. Ms Hunter, dance department chair, reevaluates placement after the first term, so if you improve a ton, you'll move up a level to fit where you need to be. :party:

I hope to audition for Mercyhurst's dance program (Even if I haven't got a chance, an auditon is always a good experience, I guess) and I was just wondering if anyone has any idea how many dancers they usually accept.

This year's freshman class was 25 students (one male).

No one has posted here in awhile, but I am hoping someone can help me learn more about the approximate academic and rehearsal schedules. Are they weekdays , weekends etc? Is there enough time for lab courses for example? And what about scheduling the core courses - are they mornings only?

If a Mercyhurst dancer or parent might share a sample schedule too, that would be great. Thank you!

If you're thinking of coming to school at Mercyhurst, you can always call the dance admissions counselor and set up a weekend to come and take classes Friday, then stay over night with one of the freshman dance majors. As far as rehearsal schedules go, fall and spring term rehearsals are generally during Company Ensemble time, which is M-F 3:40-5:50. Right now, we are working on a full-length production of Giselle, so some rehearsals spill over onto the weekends. In the winter term, our Raw Edges production is student-choreographed and has rehearsals at all times on all days. It's just something you have to figure out before you decide to perform that term. Academics are at all times during the days-M to F. You schedule around your dance classes so as to guarantee placement in ballet, modern/jazz, and company ensemble. Everyone is required to take science courses, Functional Human Bio and Anatomy and Physiology. These classes include one 3 hour lab a week, and then dance department actually preschedules those times to fit our needs. Hope this helps!

I auditioned for Mercyhurst at the Early Bird Audition April 8th. I was the only one auditioning that day (there was another girl there taking the class for placement), and I received my acceptance letter yesterday! I won't hear about academic acceptance until the fall though (I'm a Junior in HS). My class was taught by Mr. Gleason. I had a wonderful experience there :thumbsup: . I would definitely recommend the early audition- I feel relieved to have one college audition under my belt, and encouraged because I had a great time!

Anyone with information on where this year's graduating class is going after leaving Mercyhurst, please share. If this placement is within a company, please also share at what level: corp, trainee, teaching, switch to contemporary,etc.

My middle dd will be a senior. She knows of:

1 male going to St. Louis Ballet- don't know if apprentice or corps

2 females- apprentices at Ballet Theatre of Maryland

1 female- graduate school

That is all she knows so far.

Thank you for your update!

Is there any more information about Mercyhurst grads being accepted into companies?

How much of the audition is on pointe?

When I auditioned, barre was on flat and center was on pointe.

thanks so much for all the wonderful information - we too first heard about this program right here on BT4D! DD is a hs sophmore so we are just beginning to make the "list/spreadsheet" of colleges with ballet opportunities.

Can anyone comment on the possibility of double majoring in dance and a non dance related major at Mercyhurst? I think I read there was a pre-vet and dance major mentioned - wondered about any other "success stories" in this regard.

also any 2010 update on how much ballet a student could take in a week at high level? dd is currently dancing 25+ hours/week with a high degree of pointework

thanks again!

My middle dd is a senior majoring in dance. She also has a job with work study and is pretty busy. She has rehearsals sometimes until 10 pm. I don't know about having 2 majors or a major and minor since my dd isn't the studious type. She has enjoyed it there and has enjoyed most of the classes.