pointebabe4ever

Mercyhurst College

138 posts in this topic

Hello! I am hoping someone can provide some insight into Mercyhurst's early bird auditions, and their summer intensive. My daughter is a junior and is currently head down into the college search process. She wants to major in dance with a concentration in ballet, and Mercyhurst is one of her top schools. I have had some communication with the school, and from reading other posts as well as the information we received from the admissions staff, the early bird auditions are an option provided to juniors for early admission into the dance program. The early bird auditions this year are in April, so they are coming up soon. We have yet to visit the campus, and my daughter is hesitant to go through the auditions before seeing the campus and getting a feel for the school. The summer intensive can also be an early bird audition opportunity. Does anyone have any advice for whether it is better to try to get the campus visit and auditions done sooner or should she wait to use the summer intensive as an opportunity to not only audition but also get a feel for the dance staff and the college experience?

My middle dd auditioned when she was a senior. She graduated this past May and had a very happy 4 years- except for the cold weather and snow! She is now an apprentice with a small ballet company.

4Shamrocks - We've discussed this a bit on the threads for Butler and IU. You need to see if the teaching staff is the same for the university program and for the SI. Sometimes they are different. Also, how many students are on campus in the summer? That will give you an idea if the SI will be similar to the "college experience".

Yes, our next step is to check the faculty for the SI and see who the faculty will be. We are also trying to determine if she should go through the early bird auditions in April or use the SI as an early bird opportunity. Does anyone have any thoughts? We will also more than likely be sending in a DVD for the audition for the summer intensive, as the nearest audition location is a distance away and right on the heels of another college visit. Any suggestions/insight for how to make a good DVD?

My DD attended the Early Bird audition last year as Junior and it was a wonderful experience. Campus tours were arranged for both the DK's and parents and then separate meetings with Admissions/Financial aid were provided to parents while the DK's auditioned. The key difference that we've noted through the college audition circuit this year is that the audition took place during an actual class with Mercyhurst students. This provided DD the opportunity to see the level and talent of the students that attended the school and take a class with faculty that would be teaching them in college. There were actually two full length classes (technique and modern) that were taken during the day. Last year, there was a performance the night before the audition which was another great opportunity to see the Mercyhurst dancers perform and get a great feel for the level of support provided by the college and community. Probably the best part about the early bird audition was that it got that first audition out of the way in a less stressful environment. DD has extensive auditioning experiences through SI's and residency programs but when you put a new adjective in front of the word audition (college, company, etc.), they feel it's totally different.

Good luck to you and your DK!

Thanks for your insight into the early bird audition process! We are leaning toward using the summer intensive as an early bird audition - with my work schedule and my husband's work schedule and living a distance away, it would be easier to just wait until the summer. The college has been really responsive and helpful in answering our questions, and I am already impressed with their level of professionalism, at least from the admissions and dance departments. We are trying to schedule a campus visit in March so she at least gets to see the campus and meet dance staff and observe classes. It is an exciting time, and thanks for your good wishes!

Skylanddance,

When did they notify you of the outcome (acceptance or rejection) of the early bird audition? Also, are the students who do these early auditions eligible for and awarded talent scholarships?

4Shamrocks, please go to the bottom of the topic and click "Add Reply" when responding to a particular thread. Not sure exactly what button you are using, but whatever it is, it is creating new threads rather than adding to the one you are reading. Don't want you to get lost! :wink:

Carpoolleader - Notification of acceptance was received within two weeks of the audition. The acceptance was for admittance into the Dance Department only and was dependent upon College acceptance. As part of Mercyhurst's Dance admission process a separate application, essay, dance resume and photos were required. This had to be done prior to receiving acceptance to the early bird audition in March. DD then applied to the college through the standard application process during the Fall. Upon acceptance into the college, we were notified about academic and merit scholarships that DD would recieve.

One other item to note is the Mercyhurst supports those DKs that would like to double major in something in addition to dance. They also offer an Arts Administration minor which provides a foundation in administration, business and communications. In our journey, finding programs that offer and support double majors has been a huge factor in schools DD has auditioned.

Thank you, dancemaven! Being new to this I think I was a little lost, I appreciate your help!

I'm hoping I've responded to this correctly! I check these threads from time to time and answer questions. I was a student at Mercyhurst from 2002-2006, and can offer insight. In response to the questions about the summer intensive, I do know that several of the year-round department faculty teach on-campus during the summer program, and they do bring in several guest artists as well. Bruce Marks has been a frequent visitor of Mercyhurst, who is a colleague and close friend of department head Tauna Hunter. As far as how many students are on campus during the summer, I'm not entire sure of that. I'm also not 100% certain how many students attend the program. During the school year, dance classes are kept fairly small; the modern I class during freshman year is typically larger because all freshman have to take it. Let me know if you have any additional questions!

I love the fact that double majors sound encouraged and "do-able". What about possibolity of minoring in dance/ballet if majoring in a different non-dance related subject? Must one be a major to take dance classes (particularly ballet, pointe, modern) and for performance opportunities? I have perused the website but this question does not seem to be addressed directly one way or the other.

Thank you for the information about the summer intensive. My daughter is more than likely going to attend and use it as an early bird audition. We are going to visit the campus in mid-March, and she is very excited about learning more about the dance program. On the website there is information about instructors for the intensive, and there are Mercyhurst faculty as well as guest instructors listed. The schedule looks to be a fairly rigorous program and a full day of dancing. I'm looking forward to our visit and finally seeing the school.

I love the fact that double majors sound encouraged and "do-able". What about possibolity of minoring in dance/ballet if majoring in a different non-dance related subject? Must one be a major to take dance classes (particularly ballet, pointe, modern) and for performance opportunities? I have perused the website but this question does not seem to be addressed directly one way or the other.

My daughter is applying for admission and we recently visited the school. I don't think they offer a dance minor. Dance majors can double major, but there are certain majors that "conflict" with the course offerings for dance and are discouraged. There is an admissions officer that covers their dance program and I would suggest contacting her for more info. I have found her to be very responsive and helpful.

I would like to add that we are very impressed with their dance program. It is ballet focused and seems to be very strong. One distinguishing characteristic is they seem to be focused on preparing their students for life, not just a dance career. (While other programs may do very well at this also, Mercyhurst made a point of emphasizing this during their discussions with parents.) Thus, double majors or minors outside of dance are welcome.

Hi Everyone,

My name is Dana Potter and I am the Assistant Director of Admissions at Mercyhurst College, Erie PA. I am also the liasion between Admissions and the Dance Department. If you have any questions about the College or our Dance Department, I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can. I will try to check this board as much as I can, but I can also be reached at dpotter@mercyhurst.edu

Thanks!