pointebabe4ever

Mercyhurst College

138 posts in this topic

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Dana. :thumbsup: It will be very helpful to have someone directly connected here who can answer the questions.

We already have a thread on Mercyhurst College, so I have added your post to the topic so that we don't have 2 threads on the same program.

My daughter is currently investigating Mercyhurst College and wants to do a double major. I read on the Dance Department's online supplement to the college application that 5 years is required to accomplish this. One must check a box indicating that one wants to double major where it then indicates the five-year requirement. Can any former or present dance student comment on this? I have a call into Ms. Potter.

4Shamrocks,

I am interested in what your DD thought of the Mercyhurst summer program and the early-bird audition. DD is a junior this year and we are beginning to narrow down the list of schools she is interested in and that we would like to try to visit. Is this indeed a strong ballet program? DD wants to also follow a strong science based program in hopes of going to med school in the future. Is this a possibility at Mercyhurst?

My daughter loved the experience, and was sad to see the three weeks end. She enjoyed the guest teachers, and feels that she learned a lot from them. Michael Vernon of Indiana University taught one class, and Mariana Tcherkasky who is the ballet mistress at the Pittsburgh Ballet Theater taught for one of the weeks. The other guest teachers were very accomplished and respected in their fields. The director told us during the parent information session that Mercyhurst is a ballet based program, which is what my daughter is looking for. I would strongly recommend a visit, the campus is beautiful. When we went to visit prior to the Summer Intensive we sat in on a ballet class, and liked what we saw. I think that you may want to talk with the dance director to see if pairing a dance major with a science major would work - I know that the rehearsal schedule for dance majors is rigorous, and it might not mesh well with lab requirements for a science concentration.

I recently contacted Mercyhurst and was told that the summer program is "on hold" for this year. Anyone have any insights? Sad, DD was thinking about going as an early audition.

My son is auditioning at Mercyhurst tomorrow, is anyone else going?

My son was accepted to Mercyhurst with both a dance and an academic scholarship. This makes it more affordable than going to a state school. My son really liked the school and the dance classes. He is still auditioning for other schools, but Mercyhurst is at the top of his list for now.

Hi jamied, congratulations on your son's acceptance and scholarships! My name is Dana McMillin and I am the Assistant Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Admissions Coordinator to the Dance Department. Please do not hesitate to contact me at any time if you have questions. You can reach me at dmcmillin@mercyhurst.edu or (814) 824-3125.

Again, congrats to your son! Happy Holidays!

jamied, Congratulations on both the dance AND the academic scholarships! It's wonderful to see all those years of hard work pay off :)

DS has decided to go to Mercyhurst. He liked that you can get a BA or a BFA and double major. My husband loved how they stressed that their students will graduate in four years. DS wants to be a lawyer when he is done dancing. He is going to go for a BA in dance and a BA in Political Science. It was the first school that he looked at and nothing else came close. I am happy and think that he is going to have a happy and cold four years.

My dd enjoyed her four years there except for the winter weather!

I'm very interested in this school due to it being ballet based. It is possible to double major?

It is possible and encouraged.

Is it possible to graduate in 4 years if I wanted to do a double major in something related, like exercise science, but with the BFA in dance? I know it would be possible if I did a BA in dance, but I'd rather get as much dance as I can.

eschmitt98, I would call Dana McMillin. She has answered every question that my son or I have had. After taking DS last week and talking to him about his classes this week, I feel even better about his decision to attend Mercyhurst.