PK

Barnard

53 posts in this topic

ballerino: I'm a ballet dancer at Columbia, and I dance at Barnard. There are a few really good male dancers here. One of my friends trained at SAB and is now here; he doesn't take class (he's in the Columbia engineering school, so doesn't have time) but is part of Columbia Ballet Collaborative, which is really amazing. Another one does take classes and does CBC and is involved with other dance as well.

Can one be enrolled in Columbia engineering and take classes at Barnard?

My daughter is considering the dance program at Barnard, through Columbia, if she is accepted. We see that the dance studios are connected as an annex to the gym. The gym also houses a pool. Can anyone who dances there tell us how well the area is ventilated? The reason I ask is that we visited another college dance program with studios near a pool and the chlorine odor was overwhelming in the dance area.

Thanks!

Can one be enrolled in Columbia engineering and take classes at Barnard?

Yes. Columbia University classes are cross listed. So with a few exceptions (such as Barnard's First Year Foundations classes and Columbia College's Core classes), an undergraduate from any college -- Barnard College, Columbia College, SEAS (the Fu School of Engineering) and GS (General Studies) -- may take classes at another college. Sometimes (particularly intro classes with a lot of sections) the only way to tell which college is offering the class/section is to look at the location or to recognize the professor.

My daughter is considering the dance program at Barnard, through Columbia, if she is accepted. We see that the dance studios are connected as an annex to the gym. The gym also houses a pool. Can anyone who dances there tell us how well the area is ventilated? The reason I ask is that we visited another college dance program with studios near a pool and the chlorine odor was overwhelming in the dance area.

Thanks!

I don't think I ever smelled chlorine in any of the studios. Except in the dead of winter the windows or if someone complaints we usually had the windows open anyway. 1 studio is upstairs in Barnard Hall across from the lecture hall used for special events and definitely has no chlorine smell, and another is smack next to the door of the annex. The downstairs studios (which do have windows) can be kind of warm and sweaty but I don't remember chlorine.

Are Barnard alumni employed by ballet companies after graduation? Looking into going the Columbia/Barnard route, if accepted, as my parents want me to go to college right after high school and to a school of Columbia's caliber (again, if accepted :) ). I'm hoping to pursue a career after college, if that is possible.

Is the dance program at Barnard more of an extra-curricular activity? Although credits are offered for dance courses, I wonder that it's not really a program for anyone wanting to pursue a professional dance career.

Anyone have updated information on daily schedules, quality of classes, size of classes, studio space, etc? I'm looking forward to applying here!!

Anyone know if its conservatory stylee training? Or if there is the ability to receive that and go to Barnard?