EllenDana

Atlanta Ballet Pre-professional program

99 posts in this topic

How many classes per week would depend on the level. The pre-pro program meets 6 days a week. There is not a specific age for these classes, as they are placed by level. There are three levels of pre-pro, Aspirants, Elites, and Premiers. I would call the school and ask when there will be an audition or placement class. Or, since it is for next year, she could audition for their summer program next spring, and let them know at that time that she is also interested in the full year program.

Ms. Leigh

Just to be clear --- you audition for a spot in the prepro year round program and hope to be accepted. But if you are placed in the enrollment division you just audition for level placement? Is the enrollment division for dancers that are not pursuing a prepro path?

Is there a general age guideline that you could provide for the aspirant level? I realize it is by ability but does the prepro program typically begin around age 12 assuming the dancer is advanced enough to gain acceptance?

Thank you.

I'm really not sure exactly how it works in terms of the auditions, nor how the enrollment division works. I believe that it consists of the classes below the pre-pro division, but it would not mean that they are not pursuing a prepro path, just that they have not arrived there yet.

I had a couple of 12 year olds in the Aspirant class this past year. Most were 13 and up, but there were at least two 12 year olds.

Great. This helps alot. :yes:

DD is a graduating senior at a resident program. She was accepted to Atlanta pre-pro summer program and would like to attend year round, Fellowship program. Would it be possible for dd to come ahead of the summer for a visit and take a class and be evaluated for consideration for the program in the fall?? Are all decisions made after summer attendance?

bettyboo--the Atlanta representative is not answering here this year, it is suggested that questions as detailed as yours be addressed to Ms. Apgar at Atlanta Ballet. We would love it if you would then post your first hand answer once you get it.

Was your daughter accepted to the pre-pro program for this summer or the Professional program for this summer? The Fellowship students usually come from the Professional program during the SI, not the pre-pro levels. There may be exceptions to that, they have just not been reported.

Thanks Momof3darlings - for the information!!

I will clarify with dd but I believe it may have been the professional program. She has had so many auditions and each school calls their levels and programs different things. Yikes, it gets overwhelming. When dd is three states away and communication is over the cell phone, not face to face, things get lost in translation.

I will call the school and see what I can find out!

thanks, again

bettyboo--the Atlanta representative is not answering here this year, it is suggested that questions as detailed as yours be addressed to Ms. Apgar at Atlanta Ballet. We would love it if you would then post your first hand answer once you get it.

This is the emailed response we received from Ms. Apgar in response to a similar question:

"Fellowship positions are not offered at the summer auditions. What typically happens is a student auditions and is accepted to the Professional Summer Program. That student is then observed during the summer program and offers are made at the end of the summer."

Hoping someone here can answer some Fellowship-related questions:

~ How many Fellowship dancers are there (total) this year?

~ We saw an old post that indicated 4 Fellowship dancers were selected from the 2007 summer program--can anyone tell us how many were selected from last summer's intensive?

~ What are the ages of the current Fellowship dancers?

~ For how long do Fellowship dancers typically remain in the program?

~ What is the typical Fellowship dancer's schedule? (Looking for part-time job opportunity here)

~ What do most Fellowship dancers do for housing? Do they typically buddy up and get apartments together? I saw an old post from 2006 that mentioned dorms for pre-pro students.

Thanks much. :wub:

lovemydancers,

I can't answer all your questions because my dd is not with ATLBallet anymore, but she trained with their pre-pro program until she entered college last fall. I don't know how many Fellowships there are, but one of the girls was promoted after the summer '08 program and was 17. She was a very good friend of my dd's. The dorm situation for year-round students never really worked out while she was there, and she ended up in an apt. with another girl who was in her early 20's. (my dd had just turned 17 when she went to ATL) It was a bit hairy at times, but they did quite well. We were very pleased with the training and the supportive atmosphere of the staff, especially toward my dd who was 1000 miles from home. I know that the Fellowship positions are offered on a year-by-year basis and some of the students who were there in the Fellowship level were not asked to stay the following year or moved on to something else. However, I think there were lots of performance opportunities. As a pre-pro, my dd had ensemble parts in almost every production the company presented. Hope that helps. For us, ATLBallet was a great training and maturing experience and my dd hopes to return in the future.

Here are your answers to your questions concerning the fellowship program at Atlanta Ballet:

There are 13 (male and female) Fellowship dancers this year.

4 were selected from the summer program this year. Three were returning as 2nd year and the rest came from the school.

They range in age from 17 to 23.

Typically they are with the program for 2 years, although not always - the decision is made on a year by year basis. There have been some that have stayed three years and many that have only been there one year.

The typical schedule is class from 9:30 to 11:00 (with company) and then they are on call for rehearsals until 6:00pm. Depending on the production and what part they have all or only part of that time is used but they must be available during that time. Not sure about the schedule on Saturdays but I think it is also until 6:00pm but I think company class is not until 10:00am. They are totally off (no class or rehearsals) on Mondays. Also, there is a class they can take on 3 days of the week around 1:00pm if they are not in rehearsals. The fellowships are in most productions so you need to take that in consideration so far as part time jobs are concerned. I do know that several do hold part time jobs, mainly at local restaurants. Some also work for pay at the school. Fellowships are paid a weekly stipend and receive shoes.

Most of the fellowships share apartments with each other. There are many affordable apartments in the area. The majority of them have cars although a few don't but it does make it difficult to get around without one. There is the MARTA system of rail and buses that gets you near the ballet and I think they also rely on other dancers for rides.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much to both of you--that is all very helpful.

Does this type of program concern any parents of 18-19 year-ols, or just me? It seems to me that most dancers this age would need more than just one class a day, and I know mine agrees and she is 18, that she still needs not only daily class, but pas, variations, modern, etc. I understand some programs allow trainees to take extra classes, but i would think some of those classes would be full enough with adademy students?

We probably need to clarify that the Atlanta Ballet has a Pre-professional program and the Fellowship program. Although not totally seperate they are not one and the same. While Atlanta Ballet doesn't have a 2nd company per se, the Fellowship Program during the year functions like one to some degree. Most students in a Trainee/2nd company program take one class and then it's off to rehearsals. That is not unusual. Where you might find more classes is in a program that considers itself a Post Grad program.

With that said, there are classes all day and into the evening at AB. If a student wants to avail themselves of extra classses when not in rehearsal they can. The Fellowship program does not function like a Post Grad program which I think is more what 12daisy is discussing. That is important to note as dancers in this age group determine what it is they want/need from the next step in their dance training/career not just where Atlanta Ballet is concerned but any trainee program vs. post grad training.

Thank you for the clarification, momof3. That helps a lot. And yes, I agree that each dancer needs to figure out what is best for them.