Guest dancerlover

Dancegear buying habit?

128 posts in this topic

I have a bit of a weakness for leotards...I own far more of them than I really require, especially since I usually wear a tee shirt or tank top and the leotard never shows. My slippers are nauseating....huge holes...I think I'll order some now. Mine are BAD....been covering them with socks for two weeks now. I find pointe shoes expensive and usually glue the heck out of them until they are absolutely unusable, unless i have to suck it up for a show.

When I had a salary job, I bought a lot. Now that I'm dancing, I haven't bought much dancewear. But I think I'll try some new capezio chasse pointe and some slippers.

I bet if all of us pool up our dancewear together; we'd be capable of coughing up a HUGE sum for charity :)

I haven't grown *forever*. Meaning that I can still fit into my leotards from 10+ years ago. They are faded, yes, but otherwise fine... I recently finally got rid of the ones I didn't like/wear as much, but hey, I'm a student and laundry is expensive and.... those old faded leos can totally be used for.... rehearsals at least? Or cold winters when I wear something over them....

I'm also one of those perpetually cold people so I have a collection of warmups and am perpetually looking for the perfect legwarmers that aren't too long and *stay up* (suggestions welcome) and a warm up unitard that's not too long... (I'm short and have no torso). I also have a few pretty skirts, but my standard is still my short black one that is what... 12 years old or more? I wish I would grow. Probably too late for that now!

All that said... I'm also interested in the sizing of the GM leos, but am concerned if they appear to be long.... I have a short, short girth. Anyone able to comment on how they related to the smaller sizes in another brand? (erm, because you know, I could really use a new leo....) :)

Well, I guess I should start shopping for a nice halter leo!

Capezio makes a great halter from their ABT collection.

I too buy way too much dancewear, I work in midtown so I always go to the dance shops during my lunch break.

ami1436, I'm pretty petite (5'2") with a very short torso and I haven't had a problem with GM leos. I only have one, but it seems to be well-proportioned for me. I'm not positive if they do or not, but they may have the regular/long option and I'm sure the regular would work well for you then.

On the topic of leotards for shorter dances or short-torsoed dancers, what brands have people found to be the best? I personally have found Bloch leotards and Body Wrappers to work for me.

My torso's kind of long, and Freed stuff gives me a big wedgie. So maybe Freed's good for short torsos.

Thanks guys for the reports on short-torso-d leos. I have a wierd shape. I just did my measurements yesterday for costumes and my girth is under 53 inches... for most leos, this isn't even on their size chart!

I have a waist, but not as small as some of the leo sizing for adults. I've found if you look at size charts, sometimes the Child sizes have larger waists than the Adult sizes - like they don't expect you to have a 'curves' yet... Don't get me wrong, I don't have a pre-pubescent body at all, but I also don't have a ten inch difference between my hips and waist! Sometimes leos that fit me right length wise thus create this desperate suck-in waist size... ugh....

Some leos are made small. I've found Mirellas to be good length wise, and I feel like I can wear a 'normal' size in them without adjustments... Same thing for some of the Blochs. I've not tried Body Wrappers... Capezio seems to be a bit hit and miss lately - I can vary between some of their sizes. But I have found that if the leo is a bit 'longer' than princess seams help? I'm not sure how. Harmonie sizing is wierd. I got one of theirs in my latest Capezio grab bag and according to their size chart, I shouldn't have even been able to get into it, but it was more than fine and actually very comfortable. I just got a Wear Moi halter leo that I was afraid about because it is not self-tie... but it seems to be fine... as it stretches I might have to sew up the halter a bit. Have not tried Freed... And I'm totally rambling! Am going to stop now.

I so confidently asserted that I didn't have this problem :) , but all this talk is has reawakened the old hunger :blushing: ! Maybe I do need a new leo after all - one that is truly black perhaps, rather than just remembers a time when it once was...

Has anyone got one of those nice skirts which is more of a short, draping hip wrap type thing (not a chiffon, tie-around skirt)?

I love buying new dance wear. I had the excuse that having started to dance again I need to buy so I have enough to last a week at least, and now that I'm doing an intensive, I'll need even more!! :blushing:

So I'm just waiting for the yumiko site to get back up again, I really want one of their skirts and a couple of their leo's

I just realized something. I must be a dance gear addict. I was buying dancegear when I wasn't even dancing.

Years ago there was a fabulous long sleeved unitard in a little shop where I get my tall girl clothes and it fit. I couldn't leave it there. Who knew when I might ever find one again? It might have even been on sale. Maybe I just knew I would dance again???

Now I dance in a classroom that is far to warm to wear that thing. I tried once but that was a day I showed up and found class had been cancelled.

Life is ironic sometimes, but I will keep trying.

Laschwen

The good thing about dancewear that it does not become old-fashioned so quickly. At least most dance gear has not this in-built obsolence as for example fitness clothes - gym clothes seems to change every season, ballet stays more or less the same. I still have a unitard that I bought 15 years ago, and I still wear it!

Yep- I have three leos, 2 full length warmers, a unitard and several pairs of tights that date from about age 14 that I still wear, 15 years later. The tights have no runs, but the elastic is starting to go and the teens rib me about the self made holes in the sole- they think it's funny. I have noticed fashion trends in dancewear, but it does take longer than everyday- like when I was working, the russian styled chiffon skirts that varied in length were in, now they are one length, and the favorite length probably varies- short in my advanced classes, long in my adult open ones. I bet Lampwick and others who train in NYC can tell us about changing styles among working dancers there. Leglines and "back treatments" vary as well. I could go on, but this is getting off topic. I think I keep my old stuff so I can say, "Oh this is sooo old! I need a new _______".

the only oldie but goodie that I still wear are my ancient leg warmers.

I had the impression that my old dance wear (dating 15 years back) is of much better quality in comparison to stuff that I bought within the last 2 years. Re change of style: I was referring to menswear which appears to be timeless in ballet. :)

However, there seems to be a much bigger market in jazz dance wear - at least some of our students, especially in the jazz company, have a very fashionable appearance in the studio, e.g. 80s look including sweat bands and big hair! ;-)

missvjc420 - I have gear that old as well! you just made me feel a whole lot better for being such a pack rat!!! :thumbsup:

And pink tights, yes I have cut the back out of my leos... i finally got rid of those a few years ago, because they just didn't seem right anymore. One was a beautiful repetto crushed velvet one, that was just never as good after I cut it up. I regret that now.

DSL - I think the trendiest place I've ever been in London is a jazz class at Pineapple... :wink::):blushing: