Guest dancerlover

Dancegear buying habit?

128 posts in this topic

I am new to ballet, and actually walked into class the first day and turned around and left again because I was so embarassed to not have the correct attire!

So, I marched down to the local Danskin store and bought my entire collection of dancewear:

a single black tank leo, two pairs of pink tights, and a single black chiffon skirt.

BUT, after reading all of your posts, I would love to try something with a little more style! No doubt I will be online for the night searching for something new!

My fiancee says I must quit my shoe habit, so maybe I can transfer to a new dancewear habit? He says, "Sometimes, I look around and I think 'I must live with a centipede!'"

I'm betting it will be easier to sneak dancewear into the house then it was shoeboxes! :)

Always Always hide the evidence!!!

My Russian Pointes arrived when the hubby was home and I was not. It was a good thing I hid the box from the Juliets.....

Meanwhile. I see a pattern here. We all love buying new stuff. Many of us still have 15 year old stuff.... I wore one leo from 5th grade right through college, and they were better quality back before the earth cooled.

I have a question.

Where are we putting all this stuff????

I did have to suck it up and throw out a few of my antiques this year. They didn't fit any more but I still hated to toss them out. The drawer was just too full.

Laschwen

Well I just went online today to buy a couple of leotards. The ones I had were pretty old. I think the last time I put them on was in college for the modern dance class. Let's just say its a good thing they didn't fall apart.

However, I did get by with only buying two and an extra pair of tights. I figured I should have a backup. I really wanted to buy more, but I need to be sure that they fit okay before I go wild. It is a lot better when I am the one with the purse strings.

They should be here in a few days. Yippee.

When I first started, I bought a ton. I own

1.2 pair full-footed pink tights plus 1 pair Capezio convertible. One is holey(my fav), the other ripped and Capezio is brand new.

2. 3 black leos. One tank(too tight now to wear now!), one camisole (my fav) and one with a crossed back.

2. 1 pair no name canvas flats(home practice) and 1 pair full-sole leather Sanshas 3L (for class)

3. one black chiffon skirt but I'm not allowed to wear it for my grade so it's purely for vanity purposes. Hope to wear it one day. But my waist has gotten so thick lately

Recently, I just bought a new hair-net and hair stuff. My hair is long enough to put up in a bun now. The last time I did ballet,my hair was too short.

I love the dress code at my present studio! I'm in a kids' class so they are all very neat and dress the same. Everyone has neatly bunned hair, identical tank leos complete with dance belt for RAD. I'm the only one in a black leo because I am the only adult and have never taken RAD exams before.

I'm broke so I try not to buy anything. I'm glad I'm not en pointe yet and can save money that way. I have no character shoes/skirt because I have never done the Grade syllabus before.

Ughh, I just tried on my skirt and I've gotten so fat the front doesn't overlap very well. I was watching the Intermediate girls putting on their skirts today and they have such lovely young figures. By the time I get to Intermediate I hope I won't need to special order a chiffon tent.

Edited by Sakura

I see a pattern here. We all love buying new stuff. Many of us still have 15 year old stuff....

Emotional attachment to garments is not unusual. B) One one of the courses I teach, students have to conduct object analysis. I am always surprised to what extent students/parents/grandparent keep certain garments (leaving out the usual wedding gowns that one keeps).

Clothing is full of loaded meaning and plays a big part in society - and ballet of course. :D

We all love buying new stuff.

Conspicuous consumption... supposingly fact of our postmodern consumer world :grinning:

I just ordered a new leo from Discount Dance..

Pink tights - it is so comforting for me to hear that your feet have changed size. Mine grew with childbirth and now have shrunk a bit, but I thought I was going mad. My pre-babies pointe shoes which are still in the cupboard are way too small: baby number one is nearly 16 so I don't know why I'm keeping them. I'm also keeping some favourite old leggings which turned green with age and started to fall into holes, and wear them when I'm feeling ill, under a huge sweatshirt. Just ordered two new leotards to celebrate the arrival of spring at last.

I still have a RAD logo Leo I got for class in the early 90's when I had an adult class thru the Military Rec center where I lived in Germany. It was really for the kids taking the graded classes, but they let me buy it so I could have something that fit for class.

It fit at the time. Now I am trying to figure out how and what to sew in at the shoulders to give me some extra length now that I am using up more of the volume with width.

It is just a basic navy tank with a nearly invisible logo on the hip but I would wear it happily....with a skirt like all my others anyway. The logo would be just for me....

Some things are special to keep.

Laschwen

I dont know if anyone has the same problem - over the years I have accumulated a lot of black t-shirts, leotards, tights, track pants, track tops, and so on . The are all in a drawer together, and it is impossible to tell them apart since they are all black. So every time I need something particular I have to take them all out, spread them all over the floor, and then put them all back. I know I could hang a few things in the wardrobe (and do) but the problem would remain.

Jim.

Jim, stop buying and the problem will be solved :cool2::D I had similar issues but now have a drawer for my favourite dance wear, and another for the rest. And stuff I don't wear anymore, I get rid of it :thumbsup:

No, if I stop buying, the problem wont be solved until some of them have been eaten by insects or gone green with age. Taking over yet another drawer is just going further down the slippery slope. My wife likes throwing out things that are no longer of use, but she darent put her hands on my ballet drawer. Brought up in more abstemious times than her, rather than throwing things away I progressively downgrade them to holiday, garden or building wear. However I have never taken to doing those things in my ballet wear. Obviously, if I am not going for a simple logical solution to the problem I have some sort of emotional issue, somehow rejecting the solution of throwing away the old and the wrinkled. Maybe people could suggest a good constructive use for old ballet wear.

Jim.

Woa- This is a lengthy thread. Well, as for me I have below:

(i) Easily 5-8 pairs of jazz shoes ranges from Bloch to Katz

(ii) Easily 8-10 pairs of soft ballet shoes

(iii) 5-6 pair of pointes though 2 pairs have never been worn and 1 Bloch worn but it hurt so bad that I toss it to the end of my cabin

(iv) 1 Demi-pointe which stinks like heck

(v) Easily 20-30 pairs of colorful leotards

(vi) 2-3 pairs of unitards....

The list goes on

Wow- I never thought to list all my gear but it's a job lot now that I see what I have. I'll spare the details, but I have enough to go a month without doing laundry- and that does not include working shoes ( I have some dead pointes that I bring to fittings to show what I like), warm ups, and tights. I still want more! I use leos as street clothes all the time, and jazz pants for work.

After finally doing my taxes, I have to confess to this obsession... especially from online catalogs. I love discount dance supply, and I have three body wrappers leos that I love. I am also a huge sucker for GM stuff. Their long sleeved tunic is one of my favorite pieces of clothing- in real life! I wear it on every travel day of my tour... perfect airplane sweater. So Comfy! I've stopped shopping becaus I cannot fit stuff in my suitcases and also, I haven't been able to take class at all! :bash: But gathering up my receipts was hysterical.. and luckily I can deduct dancewear. :giveup:

Sakura has been a bad girl. Today I received a piece of bad news (money-related) and I went crazy at the local dance store and bought a pair of Bloch character shoes and some ribbon to sew onto my flats. I forgot to mention in my previous list that I have two pairs of ballet socks besides three pairs of tights. Now you can add the character shoes to the list.

I don't really need the character shoes yet because I'm doing vocational syllabus right now but I'll need them in a couple of months. Just buying them ahead before money runs out. I was even tempted to order my character skirt but I had better wait in case my waist gets even thicker and I can't fit into it by Sept. The store has the ribbon samples for my studio so I can place an order anytime. I'm the only one sans character stuff because the kids got theirs for exams years ago.

Jim, like you all my ballet stuff is one black clump. I also have old aerobics gear and all kinds of funny cast-off clothing. I wish I can do something about the leo I can no longer fit into. It was my first leo and bought off the rack. It was tight even when I bought it and it was XXL :giveup: I have small feet but the local dance store seems to carry kids' sizes mostly so even buying shoes are tough. As for ballet clothing, forget it. Everything has to be tailor-made because I can't fit into their regular sizes. When I ordered my ballet skirt last year, they had no precedent on how much to charge me for the amount of chiffon used! It was 15 inches long but because I have a big butt it didn't turn out as long as I would have liked. Mind you, before I started exercising my butt was even larger...Now if only I can flatten my tummy...