K123

Good leotards for tall people?

41 posts in this topic

ooo - this is rather odd. I've gone from being almost a compulsive lurker to a sudden flurry of questions. It does feel good to come out of the dark!

I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for good leotards for people who are tall or long in the body. Especially ones that can be bought in the UK. American brands seem to be a bit taller. So far the only good ones I've discovered are the Capezio tank leotards that come in a 'tall' size. I get them mail order from the states. But I am fed up of always wearing boring tank leotards and want a nice strappy one. Plus the tall sizes only seem to come in black. It's really boring. I was wondering if there are any other brands that tend to come up long in the body and might be ok even if they don't do special tall sizes.

I think the average height for a woman in the UK is 5'4" and I'm 5'9" but I'm hardly freakishly tall...

Sorry, rather a boring question, I know, but it is a never ending search...

K. :offtopic:

Natalie is good for tall girls. I have just gone up a size in that brand and it was great.

Also Eurotard makes a tall line. Not sure how stylish they are though -- I usually just wear tank style. Only their tall line is long enough though, I don't like the regular sizes EVEN when I sized up. I am exactly your height.

Also Reflexions? I believe it is spelled that way. I had a couple of those that worked great even in regular sizes. Not sure if they make any tall line.

You should check out Yumiko leotards. You can custom make them. Website is; www.yumiko-world.com

:offtopic: K123, can I ask where in the States you order from? I have seen lovely things on Discount Dance, including stuff from Natalie, but they wanted a fortune in shipping (something like $50 or $60!) When I wrote to Natalie to ask where people in Europe could order from, that was where they suggested. Is there anywhere that isn't prohibitively expensive (for any brand, not necessarily Natalie)?

Edited to add 'On topic 'thoughts'!

I am in the UK, shorter than you at 5'6 1/2 (an all important half :innocent: ), but quite long in the body. Lots of leos just stretch right across my lower back in a horrible tent of taut lycra, from my behind to my spine. But I haven't found anything better than Capezio. Whatever you do, don't go for the Plume leotards from Dance Direct. Handfuls of spare material at the sides, wedgie at the back... Sorry not to have anything useful to say. I hope Yumiko finish their site soon, I'm curious about the forthcoming ready-to-wear stuff.

I am 5'3'' so I am a shorty. But since I find Gaynor Minden leos a little bit too tall for me, perhaps they are good for you? However, it is rather narrow, I usually feel like a sausage in my GM leo :offtopic: But since I am short, what I might consider being too long might not be enough for tall people :innocent:

Try Bloch - they definitely seem to run a size larger than ordinary leos and feel very roomy without necessarily producing a baggy look. Not sure whether they're all made without cotton, but the two that I have are 80% Poliammide, 20% Elastain, which is an extremely stretchy combination. :offtopic:

You can get different colors, including reversible leos that are solid-colored :wub: on one side and two-tone :innocent: on the reverse side. Many strappy (camisole) styles as well as cap-sleeved ones available.

Their website: www.blochworld.com

I'm not particularly long in the body but I love Mirella leotards and believe that some of their styles come in a long (tall) version? Perhaps someone else has tried them.

Ruby, I'm with you on the frustrations of sourcing nice dance stuff in the UK. As I said I love Mirella but know of only one place to get them in the UK, and last time I asked they said they only got stock in twice a year and had immediately sold out of most of the leotards! If anyone else knows where else I could get them please let me know...

I did have some success once negotiating a discounted shipping rate from allboutdance.com (just ordering one item) but that might have been a one-off. I've also had stuff delivered to a friend in the U.S. who then sent it on to me at cost.

Good luck K123!

I'll also second the Yumiko suggestion--you can custom order to the point of adding a few inches length--my daughter (5'8") gets a small with a few inches. Fabrics are wonderful as well.

How about the ABT Capezio ones? I just got a really nice purple camisole with a pinch front in a tall size (rather accidentally, I ended up having to shrink it a bit in the dryer) It's become my new favourite :shrug:

I am 5' 8'' and have a pretty long girth and am pretty lean. For me, it is all about the material. Tactel Lycra and Dorlastan Nylon seem to work very well. Cotton just doesn't stretch enough for my body. The down side is that Tactel Lycra is a little warmer. Sounds like Mirellas are hard to come by in the UK, but they work great for my body. I also have 2 Gilda Marx leos in a small and they are still actually a little too long. They stretch for miles. Also, if there are a group of people in the UK wanting to make a purchase from the States, why don't you all go in together to reduce shipping costs. Why not have an annual shopping party and fashion shoe, if you happen to live near each other. Perhaps you can turn lemons into lemonade. If you spend enough money, perhaps you can even negotiate with the company for reduced shipping for this annual event.

I'll also second the Yumiko suggestion--you can custom order to the point of adding a few inches length--my daughter (5'8") gets a small with a few inches. Fabrics are wonderful as well.

I had a look at that website and didn't find anything about customizing the size. I saw some stuff about custom designs with color and such and I found a page with a size chart that didn't include anyone of my dimensions. Do you have to call them or something?

Laschwen

How about the ABT Capezio ones? I just got a really nice purple camisole with a pinch front in a tall size (rather accidentally, I ended up having to shrink it a bit in the dryer) It's become my new favourite :)

I tried a Capezio Tall and didn't find it comfortable. I am sure I was maxing out the width of the thing and it did cover enough of my body length but the straps were not adjustable and I found them tight and painful. I have been playing with sewing on more strap length, but that is a bit of a pain and it is hard to be sure when you have enough stitches in there to hold and not snap open in class. Of course I have a girth of something between 68 and 70 inches. It is hard to get an accurate measure when the tape only goes to 60 inches. Most of you 5 foot Niners will probably be fine in this kind of Tall.

I tried one of the Capezio tanks that just appeared at my local dance shop. It was a plus size which I think is new for them. It was also a bit longer in the body but the armholes were tight and it pulled down harder on the shoulders. I went up another size to see if that was more comfortable in the shoulder but it was also very large around the butt and wouldn't stay down on the hips. I like a higher hip line generally, but that was ridiculous.

I wish the Plus sizes came camisole and halter styles. Those are more forgiving for length I find.

Meanwhile I have a So Danca Leo that is quite nice in the length. It is not even a Tall.

Laschwen

I had a look at that website and didn't find anything about customizing the size. I saw some stuff about custom designs with color and such and I found a page with a size chart that didn't include anyone of my dimensions. Do you have to call them or something?

Laschwen

Yes, give them a call. Or if you know of a Yumi Girl in your area ask them about it. Just beware that shipping can take up to 6 weeks!

Wow! so many suggestions. I can feel a shopping spree coming on - only in the name of science and experimentation, obviously...

Thanks for all those brands, American brands are defintely the way to go, it seems. I will have to reread the thread and take notes of them all. Customising, sounds really good, although is it expensive?... I will investigate.

Ruby, when I've ordered from the states I've ordered from http://www.nydancewear.com/ I've also just discovered this site http://www.dancedistributors.com/index.cfm?act=home although I haven't used them yet, but they give quite a detailed estimate for overseas shipping so it's easier to calculate it.

I had wanted to order from discount dance supply, but thought the same as you about the shipping and I've found that with several other good looking American sites. Although, sometimes the saving you make with the goods, if you buy a few things at once, is enough to make it worth expensive shipping. Why is dancewear so expensive in the UK?

I've noticed that http://www.dancechoice.com/default.asp has free shipping on everything - it isn't in America, in fact they don't ship to America I don't think. it's a supplier of Grishko.

I know what you mean about the plume leotards from Dance direct - I just got one, feeling hopeful, and was really disappointed because it did that tent thing at the back. I end up with no waist and looking really thick from sideways on. Just not tall enough (plus I have a bit of a sway back which doesn't help), and if you go up lots of sizes to get length then they end up too wide.

Right, I'm going to check out all these new leotard possibilities.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry you've had the same Plume experience as I did - never again! This has been such a useful thread. :)

And it took all this discussion to make me put 2 and 2 together and realise that my flatmate's absence at a conference in Alaska is the perfect way to get hold of some stuff from the other side of the Atlantic :blushing: ! I think I'll go with allaboutdance.com for this order, since she's there to receive it, but thanks for the other tips, K123. Useful for next time I don't have a handy roaming ecologist to ferry my leotards around the world! :wacko: