olddude

Ballet Schools in California - San Fran/Bay Area

71 posts in this topic

Hi all-

I'll be in San Francisco in a week or two, for a few days (business). It would be great if I could find a class, since I'll miss two or three at home. I'll be mostly in the Mission/Market area between Union Square and the Opera House. Anybody knows any good places? Probably "beginning" level - I have 2+ years training with a very late start :blink: but working hard this year at 4 classes/week - hard work substituting for talent :sweating: .

Thanks for any ideas,

-Paul

There's an old thread(from June or July of last year) on the adult ballet students forum about schools in SF. I'm not sure how to link to it, but it's currently on pg. 15 of that forum, on my system anyways. Some of the info is slightly dated, but it's still a good starting point.

Line Ballet on 7th Street would be your best bet. I believe they have beginner classes as well. I don't know any other place in SF but know of several outside of SF, depending how far you want to travel.

I would recommend looking into City Ballet School, 32 Otis St., SF. Summer Rhatigan teaches open classes there on Mon, Wed and Fridays from 11:30 to 1 pm until her summer intensive program begins on June 12th. She is one of the most inspiring teachers my daughter has ever worked with. There are other open classes as well.

Also try Academy of Ballet on Market St near Sanchez. They have lots of evening classes of all levels.

There are also some ballet classes at the new ODC Commons on Shotwell near 17th in the Mission. There is a schedule posted on line. Augusta Moore's class is great.

There's an old thread(from June or July of last year) on the adult ballet students forum about schools in SF. I'm not sure how to link to it, but it's currently on pg. 15 of that forum, on my system anyways. Some of the info is slightly dated, but it's still a good starting point.

Bingo! This one?

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...topic=23768&hl=

Thanks, I must have used the wrong search terms - also the wrong forum I guess... :) tons of information there and here, thanks to everyone.

Line Ballet on 7th Street would be your best bet. I believe they have beginner classes as well. I don't know any other place in SF but know of several outside of SF, depending how far you want to travel.

This one is a perfect location (on the same physical block where I'll be working!)! Thanks, I'll get hold of them, with the Academy on Market as second choice, a half mile or so away.

Just an update - I managed to squeeze in four classes at Lines last week, with Kathy Mata. What a great teacher! Loved the classes, mostly 1.5 hours but 2 hours on Saturday - really nice as most of my classes have been 1 hour. The "Beginning" level is taught daily by Ms. Mata, and was certainly a challenge for my not-quite three years of experience - I may have embarrassed myself, but at least did not flunk out :) She corrected several things about placement which are already working well for me.

Highly recommended!

I'm currently searching for a pre-professional program in the Bay Area (Berkeley, Oakland, Alameda, Walnut Creek, San Francisco) that accepts 20 year olds. I have looked into the Academy of Ballet and SF Conservatory of Dance. Can anyone tell me anything more about these schools (where graduates have ended up, quality of classes, about the faculty, etc.) or about any other reputable schools in the area? I want a strong program that allows me to dance several hours daily (technique and pointe), while still attending my college classes.

Any help would be great! I've been searching for quite some time and have been taking adult classes daily, but am ready to progress further. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Edited by hailinpointeshoes

I know that 2 dancers from Chamberdance, the group with Academy of Ballet were hired this year at Ballet West, one in the main company and one in the second company. A former BWII dancer that is now with Ballet Arizona also trained with them.

City Ballet School in SF has wonderful open classes everyday. I don't think they accept will accept a 20 year old into their school though. Here's a link.

http://www.citydance.org/schedule/index.php

I don't really know about the schools you mentioned. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Have you looked at the Lines post-grad program?

The Lines post-grad program, Lines Ballet School Ensemble Training (LBSET), is a full-time training program that is not an 'open' program, that is, students may not drop in and out of classes. The members of that program are in classes and rehearsals from roughly 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. five days a week.

LBSET is not be compatible with attending full-time college courses. But there is their BFA program with Dominican. In that program, there is room for college courses--although whether one could add another major or minor with the BFA would depend on the student, the anticipated major/minor, and who knows what else.

The San Francisco Dance Center (where Lines is located) at 7th and Market does have Open Classes. I haven't a clue what the schedule is. But the instructors and quality of classes are phenomenal and outstanding according to my DD.

There are several programs in the South Bay, if you are able to travel that far. Where will you be going to university? If you'd rather not say, how about the city your university is in?

I have looked into LBSET, but you're right- I know that I wouldn't be able to manage schoolwork at all with that. =( I currently attend UC Berkeley and I'm trying to limit my commute to an hour away at most- I'll have to take public transportation. Thanks for the replies! I look forward to hearing more suggestions. Is South Bay more than an hour away?