olddude

Ballet Schools in California - San Fran/Bay Area

76 posts in this topic

I will see if I can find anything out for you!

You have no ideal how much I would appreciate that :> Moody ballet teens are no fun :wink:

ABT's site lists certified teachers under the "Education and Training Tab": http://www.abt.org/education/certifiedteachers.asp. Unfortunately, there is no contact or location info provided. Perhaps the staff for the Teacher Training could match you up, geographically. Also, perhaps Charles Maple's studio, the Maple Conservatory in Irvine, might be willing to recommend a teacher near you -- he's taught for ABT for years, including at summer programs, and surely has an idea of where good students are coming from in the Bay area: http://www.mapleconservatory.com/faculty/conservatory.shtml.

While not, of course, ABT certified, there's the obvious -- the School of the San Fransisco Ballet, which has produced a dancer or two. : ) .

Ms. Bowman, director of ABT summer intensives, is a registered member of BT4D. I'm sure if you ask her, she can connect you with ABT-certified teachers in the area. You could also contact her studio California Conservatory of Dance (theccofdance.com). She's codirecting ABT Orange County at the moment, but she will probably be available off and on.

Bay Area ballet schools that have produced professional dancers (or these days, dancers offered trainee and/or apprenticeships positions upon graduation) that I know of:

San Francisco Ballet School. Teaching method: mixed
Professional Ballet School in Belmont: Teaching Method: Vaganova
Western Ballet in Mountain View: Teaching method: mixed
Ballet San Jose: Teaching method: mixed/Bournonville
Dance Theater International in San Jose: Teaching method: mixed
Academy of Ballet in San Francisco: Teaching method: ?
Diablo Ballet in Walnut Creek: Teaching Method: Vaganova
Contra Costa Ballet in Walnut Creek: Teaching method: mixed, one main teacher danced for the Royal Danish Ballet, directors danced for ABT.

There, of course, may be some I've missed, but these are the schools I know of. I did find one school at one time via their website that claimed "ABT certified" teachers, but they only offered three 90 minute ballet classes per week for their most "advanced" students. I wouldn't call that an advanced schedule, so it left me wondering how well the ABT certified teachers are screened, and whether or not they have to meet certain standards in order to maintain their certification. Unfortunately, I can't find that website presently, but I had found it when I was searching for a new school for my dd during this past winter.

Bay Area ballet schools that have produced professional dancers (or these days, dancers offered trainee and/or apprenticeships positions upon graduation) that I know of:

San Francisco Ballet School. Teaching method: mixed

Professional Ballet School in Belmont: Teaching Method: Vaganova

Western Ballet in Mountain View: Teaching method: mixed

Ballet San Jose: Teaching method: mixed/Bournonville

Dance Theater International in San Jose: Teaching method: mixed

City Ballet School in San Francisco: Teaching method: Vaganova

Academy of Ballet in San Francisco: Teaching method: ?

Diablo Ballet in Walnut Creek: Teaching Method: Vaganova

Contra Costa Ballet in Walnut Creek: Teaching method: mixed, one main teacher danced for the Royal Danish Ballet, directors danced for ABT.

Pacific Ballet Academy in Mountain View Teaching method: mixed

They produced several pro dancers. One of them is dancing SF Ballet

Hello,

DD, now 13, just got back from ABT New York. She loved it there but also discovered that the training at her studio has been pretty second rate. We kind of knew that already but its the best our area has to offer. She's still not old enough for a residency program and is worried that if she continues at her current studio things will only get worse. Basically everything she was told is good technique at ABT is opposite to what she is told at her own studio ( probably not everything, she is a teen, but enough for her to know things are not good there). She feels she has improved and doesn't want to go back to the way she was before. Which means switching studios.

She would like to find an ABT certified teacher. We already know there aren't any where we are so are looking at the San Francisco Bay area. Does anyone know? I contacted ABT to ask for a list but so far no one has gotten back to me. Alternatively, she would like to study Chechetti ( sp?). There is one school in our area but I have been told it is not a good school. So does anyone know of a school in the Bay Area. It needs to be more on the East Bay side. We can't travel out to Marin or Santa Cruz.

Thank you in advance for any help ypu can give.

Our DD takes Kristine Elliot's class at Cubberly Center in Palo Alto. Its open level, it is Tuesday and Thursday at 10:30 Am. http://www.zohardancecompany.org/schedule.html

Yes you have to juggle school schedule around but it is worth it

We will be moving to Mountain View this summer, and we are looking at dance schools in the area. My DD is 14 and will be turning 15 this summer. She is planning to attend the intensives at Ballet San Jose and Pacific Ballet. Are there any other good schools we should try out? While we were visiting for spring break, she took a placement class at Ballet San Jose and was placed in level E for the summer intensive. However, BSJ is a bit farther away, while Pacific is very close to where we will be.

Any information about these schools or other schools in the area would be great :-D

Hi phenomemom (love your name! :D )

If you look at the 3 posts just above yours, you will find names, locations, and teaching methods of many ballet schools in the San Franciscio bay area. You might want to have your dd audition/take placement classes at several schools on the list before you make your decision, or you may find that she loves Ballet San Jose or Pacific Ballet Academy and your search will be complete. :) When my dd changed ballet schools last year, she auditioned at several schools, and when she found "the one" it was clear to her (and to me).

Welcome to the bay area!

Thank you BelaNina. We are planning to try out several schools before making a decision. We have looked over the rest of the thread and there is some really good information there. We were just looking for some specific experiences. :thumbsup:

Some of the old information in this thread is inaccurate, so be sure to check schedules, location, etc. yourself. And good luck! :rolleyes:

If she is a very serious student, you may want to consider the long haul up to the city. Many of the city schools including SFB, and City Ballet (plus some of the smaller less well-known studios) attract dancers from the southern suburbs. There are also trains which make the commute easier.

Thank you, Lemlemish:

She is hoping to go to SF on weekends to dance, but I don't think that we could make the commute work every day.

Dear phenomemom,

My dd is 13 and attends Western Ballet in Mountain View. It is a great classical ballet school - no hip-hop, no competitions. They do a large Nutcracker performance where advanced students get great roles (not reserved for professionals). They have a wonderful facility - 3 studios with good floors. The teachers have great professional experience. They have a strong youth program with small classes. But they also have a wonderful adult program - where many previous serious dancers and other area teachers take classes. This means they have night and weekend open classes that my daughter takes during school breaks and to make up for missed classes when life has gotten busy. I highly suggest that your daughter come and take a class before the regular youth program ends - June 19th. Based solely on her age - she should probably visit a level 5 class. While the open program is a great addition - it is different than the youth program and so I wouldn't use an open class to gauge the youth program.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thank you fabballetmom! :clapping:

We'll definitely look into Western Ballet. She won't be able to make it there before June 19 though because she will be going to LINES ballet intensive at the beginning of the summer.

She will not be abble to do their summer intensives either, but maybe she will take some open classes.