Guest Ballet626

Boston Conservatory

82 posts in this topic

clynwinslow,

Hi there! of course always here to help

1. The food is typical college food. We share the caf with berklee students so there isnt really a focus on "oh we have dancers we have to offer a huge variety of things" although there is a salad bar and healthy options available. We also have another place, Cafe 24, which has grab and go options, inlcuding coffee but not the healthiest. Im not a huge fan of the food tbh but just my opinion. It is all you can eat but as a freshman you get a plan of I think like 320 meal swipes. Honestly you dont even use all of them up but its nice that you can get as much as you want and sometimes take some to go lol

2. Theres not a lot of boys typically. Maybe 6-8 per class. For their freshman and sophomore year the boys are required to take ballet partnering. And of course its offered to girls too but it fills up quite fast. For required dance classes specific to your year, you do take them with the rest of your class but for other classes like electives there is a wide range of class years.

3. PT is offered in our student fee so there is not extra charge for that. Theyre really great too, PT for Boston Ballet so youre getting professionals :)

4. Non-dance class load depends on the student but I would say freshman year has the bulk of it. You also have dance academics (intro to dance, intro to pedagogy, etc). Our days are pretty packed (9am-5 or 6 pm sometimes) and only about 2 hours of academics a day sometimes no academics a day. It really is how you shape your schedule.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions :)

Thanks so much Alexandra_v96!

We are still waiting to hear back about admissions, so that's all for now. Should hear in a week or so!

Typically by mid-April you should hear! All the luck to your dance student! :)

I actually called the school last week to ask when we would do hear. The person who talked to me said it would be April 1 and not before. Hoping it is but that'should a Saturday......she was adamant I could not find out at all before and would have to wait. From her tone, I am guessing I was not the first one to ask...😒

Thanks for passing that on Mobadt!

I believe decisions went out today! Good luck to you all!

Yes decisions did in fact go out on April 1st Saturday. DD got hers Saturday morning, and I am please to announce she was accepted!!!!! And with a great scholarship!!! I could not be happier for her, or more proud. We are soooo excited!!!! She now has to choose between this and Point Park. What excellent choices she has! So thrilled!!!   :-))))))

Hi Alexandra_v96, we found out my son got in! He has a few more questions for you: do dance majors get a chance to do any musical theater classes or productions? Like singing, tap, or acting, etc. Is the relationship between the MT students and dance students pretty friendly? Also, he's looked around on the web to see what graduates are doing, where they are working, but has had limited success in finding many stories of alumni. Do you have an idea of what most graduates do? Was there something that drew you to BoCo over other schools?

Thanks!

Congratulations to you and your DD, Mobadt! :party:

Hi there! Congrats!!! Boco is a great school and hard to get in so he should feel very proud of himself! So dancers are allowed to take the musical theater classes at night (ballet, jazz, etc). There are times where he can also audition for MT productions and more than likely he will get cast because well hes a dancer and they like to have good dancers haha. The relationship is very friendly. Im friends with quite a few MT students. For graduates, most of them get jobs right out of school. Some, to name a few, are working on broadway, cruise ships, ballet companies (2 recent grads are in complexions contemporary ballet i know crazy right?!) and modern companies. Im a current sophomore and I will be leaving at the end of May as I have recieved a spot in the training program with Alonzo King LINES Ballet. What drew me to boco was that it would open my eyes to so much more that I wasnt exposed to at my ballet studio. Its a very versatile school and you grow A LOT here. And they bring in a ton of great choreographers. If your son ends up going to accepted dancers day let me know! I'd love to speak with him and talk to him!

Thanks again alexandra_v96! It's great to hear about the jobs dancers get after school. Are you planning on leaving Boco  for good or just doing the LINES SI and returning in the fall? I'm not sure if he will make it to the accepted dancers day, I'll let you know.

I will be dancing at LINES for 2 years as a training program student. I will be leaving Boco and wont be coming back. Many different reasons why I decided to leave but getting this opportunity of course is amazing and something I knew that if I got I would leave school immediately. Why not dance while you can? Its a one in a lifetime chance so yes I will not be returning to BoCo. Just let me know if he decides to :)

alexandra_v96

My DD was accepted to BoCo dance. She has mostly a classical ballet background and would like to have a "ballet emphasis" if she chooses BoCo. In your opinion, would she get enough ballet training, or is it mostly contemporary and modern?  Also, do you know of anyone who did a "ballet emphasis" and is anyone in a company now?  Congratulations on your upcoming trainee-ship at LINES!  

Hi, alexandra_96, I'm confused.  Has the LINES company altered its structure to include trainees/apprentices?  I know they have a program that is set up as two-year, tuition-based training program, but it is separate and distinct from the company itself.  The dancers in that training program do not train or perform with the company, but sometimes have class opportunities. 

If the program structure and nature has changed, please do help us out by updating the dedicated thread here:  

Thanks for your help! 

I was wondering the same thing!  From what I can gather from the website, the Training Program is the same as it's been, a trainING program rather than a trainEE program.  And yes, please if this has changed let us know!