Guest Ballet626

Boston Conservatory

82 posts in this topic

hi there, balletmaman17,

Congrats to your DD! I can tell you I was trained very Balanchine with a lot of classical training as well, so coming into this environment was different for me. I wouldn't say that BoCo is a ballet focused school. We do take ballet every day and there are a lot of ballet electives to choose from but ballet is a weakness for BoCo. I felt my training suffered a lot these past 2 years I've been here. Very strong modern and contemporary for sure. Those who were a ballet emphasis went into contemporary ballet companies and I really cant think of anyone in a classical ballet company other than those many years ago. The director changed about 5 or 6 years ago and ever since it totally shifted to a modern school. Before it was very much ballet oriented.

Thank you so much and if you plan to go to accepted dancers day on Wednesday let me know! I'll be there :) Thank you so much!!

Hi, dancemaven and Lady Elle!

At LINES there is a 2 year training program which I am going to. I dont think they train with the company but are considered trainees atleast thats what my friends who are in that program consider themselves lol. I honestly dont know since I am going in very new lol but if you know of anyone who is from the training program who dances with the company I would love to know! Im just so excited!!! I hope this clears up any of your confusion :)

for my previous post....

Just noticed my post from previous about lines was written from me telling my mom information. She must have changed it to make it seem like it was a company spot. Had to edit it to make it accurate lol. I hope this clear up confusion from previous. Sorry about that lol you know how moms can sometimes tell too much even when you tell them another.

Have a nice day everyone!

:thumbsup:  Alexandra_v96!   Gotcha. :wink:

Thank you for clarifying.  It is highly unusual for the Training Program students to dance with the company.  But I'm sure you will enjoy your time there and find it very fulfilling. My DD did.

Now back to the topic at hand:   Boston Conservatory dance program. :)

My DD is going to Boston Conservatory in the fall and she was under the assumption that she could major in Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Pedagogy, or Composition.  We also understood that there are 3 levels of partnering.  My DD really loves ballet and jazz.  We picked this school because she would have good training in both.  Now I am nervous about the ballet training.  I know they say they are a contemporary dance program so I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the ballet training being weak.  Anyone else have a comment about the ballet at BoCo?

Congrats EFW.  I don't have first hand experience with BOCO classical training, but wonder why you are under the impression that it is weak?  The fact that they call themselves a contemporary dance program doesn't imply that in my experience.  In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find a top contemporary dance program that doesn't offer excellent ballet training.  Also if the 3 levels of partnering are classical partnering, that could imply a relatively deep ballet program.  What you probably won't find a lot of at BOCO or in many of the BFA programs is a great deal, if any classical repertoire. Again this is based on my experience with a DD who is in another top BFA program that would definitely be considered a modern/contemporary dance program.  I think that fewer BFA candidates intend to pursue a spot in a classical company, but at DD's school, it does happen.  Dancers looking for a performing career in ballet still tend to pursue trainee or apprentice spots in ballet companies more than BFA programs, but I think we will see more and more that this is not in fact the only path to a ballet career.  I guess I am saying that I would dig a little deeper before getting too worried about weak ballet training there.  

Good luck!

EFW,

Hi! As someone who has gone to BoCo after being in a predominately ballet school I understand where you have concern about the ballet training. I would have to say give it time as everyones perspectives and what they take from the experience differs. From personal experience my opinion would be that the program is more focused on turning their students into modern dancers so your daughter may find that they will push her into more modern pieces her first year. At least that's what they did for me. But they do like versatile dancers as well so they will try to put you in many different directions so that in your future you will get more jobs. As someone who loves ballet and plans on having a ballet career, I missed the structure that I grew up in when I went to boco. It's pretty lax there and ballet's one of those classes where being pushed and challenged can sometimes go brushed under the rug, and that also depends on what teachers you have. I was lucky where I got the most challenging teachers they had who also taught Balanchine, which is how i was trained growing up.

Please if you have any other questions feel free to ask :)