WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

130 posts in this topic

Yes, LAB's school teaches in the Balanchine style.

Thank you for the feedback.

Pavlova, you mentioned that you wouldn't consider the school to be "pre-professional". I would hope if my ddr is 15 and in the upper levels, that the training might be of quality? We would be living on the west side of Los Angeles (Santa Monica, Brentwood, West LA), so the location would be convenient. My dd's fantasy is Colburn, but of course we've missed the auditions by now and the location is far. I thought that Westside Ballet had kinda lost their quality training in recent years? My dd was there a few years ago in the summer for the SAB workshop, and heard the year-round there wasn't so good.

Our experience was that there is very little focus on the school and the progress of its students, and there are minimal performance opportunities. I cannot speak for Westside's quality, but it has always enjoyed a good reputation in this area, and I don't think that has changed. Westside has some performance opportunities as well. If your DD is still interested in Colburn, I would still contact them and give it a try - you never know, but you are right - it is a hike from West LA!

Thanks again. Yes, I may contact Colburn. In one year dd will be driving, though I don't know if crazy Los Angeles freeways are a good way to start :)

Hello my dd (9) has been dancing pre-ballet and ballet since 3 years old in the Pasadena area but we are looking for a more structured foundation perhaps something with a cohesive ballet syllabus any studio suggestions? She has attended / visited the big studios in Pasadena and I have accepted we will need to commute for the type of training we are seeking.

We are looking for pre-pro training

We would like a studio with a variety of days they offer classes at different levels.

I think going to a studio where there is a syllabus or very specific style would be beneficial, RAD / Balanchine / Vaganova / etc.

DD does want some performance opportunities (1-2 per year)

Any studio suggestions? Any thoughts on Los Angeles Ballet Academy? Marat Daukayev? Is Westside Ballet truly the best in Los Angeles or is there something closer/ easier to get to? Colburn sounds lovely but does not offer performance opportunities correct?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by momonpointe

Marat Daukayev is an outstanding Vaganova training program. The training is incredible for the serious-minded student. Marat has consistently produced dancers that are now attending the world's most elite professional schools--Bolshoi, Royal, Princess Grace Academy of Monaco.

Colburn School is the new kid on the block, but seems to be providing some outstanding training for ADVANCED dancers in the Balanchine STYLE. The program runs 10 am-2pm. Jennifer Ringer, former NYCB Principal Dancer, is using her incredible connections to bring in Master Class Instructors like Forsythe, Benjamin Millepied, Wendy Whelan, and Fabrice Calmels. Colburn has LOTS of funding and its connection to the arts district is unparalleled. That being said, they advertise ages 15 and up (I know one boy there is 14), I don't know how old your daughter is. They do have performances, Mother's Day they are performing a show. With all of this incredible opportunity, my hesitation would be in empirical proof that it is working; because they are new, they do not YET have a placement track record. But, if your child is advanced, the times work for you and Balanchine is interesting, I DEFINITELY would consider it.

If time and no money was no concern, I would go to Colburn in the morning and early afternoon, and then take my child to Marat in the afternoon.

The third school that has a great reputation in Los Angeles is Los Angeles Ballet Academy (this school is NOT affiliated with Los Angeles Ballet). They have consistently produced some very fine area dancers who have won accolades in competitions like YAGP and other area competitions. I believe they follow an RAD curriculum, good school, but I don't know of former students that are currently dancing professionally after leaving.

Also, Orange County has great schools if you decide to go South. I know of a girl who has commuted there for 5 years from Pasadena. Wouldn't work for me, but some do it. I think she uses the train and drives and figures the North/South commute is easier than the east/west which I can completely understand. Good Luck!

I don't think I can quite commit to the drive to the OC multiple times per week....

Edited by momonpointe

LoveMyJob,

My daughter is only 9 years old so she would have to enroll in the Trudl Zipper Dance Institute which is Colburn's Community School Program if she did Colburn at this point.

Thanks so much this is very helpful

Edited by momonpointe

Momonpointe, it is BT4D policy not to provide direct comparisons between or among programs. We ask our members to provide their first-hand experiences and leave it to those researching to do their own compare and contrast. :)

Sorry about that..... I guess my question is more along the lines of rad vs vaganova but that did not feel suited for this thread.

Momonpointe, I answered that in my previous post.

Just an FYI:

Marat Daukayev will not allow a student to attend another studio, such as Colburn, while enrolled in their program.

Pavlova, have they changed that policy, recently? I know of 2 students that were attending LACHSA at the same time and 2 others that were coming to Orange County 2 days a week?

No, LACHSA is the performing arts High School, not a studio, so that would be allowed.

I don't know if you mean the Orange County Performing Arts High School, that would be OK, too.

But if you mean attending ballet classes at other studios, anywhere, including private lessons, while enrolled at MDSB, that is not allowed, and it is specifically addressed in their contract.