WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

105 posts in this topic

How do you tell is a school is pre-pro? Are there any pre-pro schools in Pasadena (just outside of LA)

Any insights on Pasadena Civic Ballet?

Also any insights on Colburn's program for younger kids???

Pasadena Civic Ballet is definitely not a pre-pro school. Their classes are good for rec level, though. We also live in the Pasadena area and have to commute to get pre-pro training (no pre-pro schools nearby). I highly recommend Marat Daukayev.

Edited by missamay30

Also any insights on Colburn's program for younger kids???

I know this is an older post, my dd is part of the Colburn Dance Academy. But I do see the faculty of the community school and they are excellent (some work with the CDA students). The facility is beautiful and there are a number of performance opportunities.

Pasadena Dance Theatre is very good. They have a company that does a beautiful Nutcracker and a Spring Gala. (Different from Pasadena Civic Ballet)

My daughter will be starting high school in fall, and hopes to join the high school dance team.  Her ultimate goal is a BFA...and we are interested in the best route to prepare her for that.  We live in Calabasas,CA.  What are the best ballet schools in the LA area to continue her training for the next four years?

Ballet Arts in Westlake Village(Lots of individualized attention)

Cal Dance Theatre in Westlake Village (Larger studio, performance oriented)

Cuizon ballet in Thousand Oaks(serious pre professional ballet studio)

LABA in Encino

Hello, I have spent a ton of time searching through messages on here and just haven't been able to find the info I'm looking for and wonder if anyone can help.  We are moving to Los Angeles next month (likely San Fernando Valley but we won't be buying a house until we get there) and I am searching for a ballet school for my daughter that has a full-time daytime program for young students.  My daughter is not old enough for this yet but we are leaving behind a wonderful ballet school who has put a ton into starting up a program like this and I was really looking forward to my daughter joining this program when she was old enough (we are already a homeschooling family.)  I really don't want to hop around studios so I'd love to get settled in one now that will have that option available for her when she gets old enough.  The one in our current town starts by level but most girls are age 11 in the beginning daytime level.  Does something like this exist in So Cal?  

Thank you in advance!

Okay it seems I might have posted this in the wrong forum and can't figure out how to delete it to move it.  Can anyone assist me?  This is my first post.  Sorry!

Edited by albam27

Colburn?  I think they might start their program around 12 yrs old.

I believe Colburn Dance Academy's day time program is only for high schoolers. However, they do have a community program for younger students in the evening.

Thank you Lady Elle and PlainJane!  I did look into Colburn after seeing it pop up in here while searching and thought it was just for older students.  I just refuse to accept that I can't find in Los Angeles something that we had available to us in a city a fraction of the size! :)   The search continues....   

California, Southern CA in particular, is notoriously lacking in residential type ballet training.  There is also DMitri Kulev Academy but that is towards Laguna Beach and might be too far?  Also ABT has an academy now also in Orange County, it's rather new and I'm not sure how it's coming along.  Residential day time programs just don't seem to take hold here.  Many serious home schooled kids I know will take adult classes along with private instruction during the day and then their level classes at their home studio in the evening.  Happy studio hunting!

I don't think there's all that much demand for daytime training for an 11-12 year old, that's why these programs don't exist in LA.  Marat Daukayev School of Ballet has had quite a few students who later transition (in teen years) to prestigious schools like Bolshoi Ballet Academy.

Thank you all.  Well darn I was hoping there were some secrets out there only the locals knew about! :)  Orange County is quite a hike (especially Laguna - ugh!!) but I guess when the time comes we will definitely consider it if its the only option.  I think one of the things that makes the daytime program here so appealing to even pre-teen girls is that they're able to study ballet very seriously but also still "have a life" with friends and other activities in the evening as I've heard a few girls put it.  

I think Cuizon has classes for homeschoolers, though I don't know that it's a true daytime program.

I would call Marat Daukayev and ask about the conservatory program. This is a daytime program set up for advanced students who home school.

http://maratdaukayev.com/