WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

130 posts in this topic

Thank you pavlova - i didn't know they had anything like this there!

I just wanted to add that if you are living in Los Angeles, particularly as far north as the Valley, Orange County schools are probably not going to be an option for you. When they say LA has the worst traffic in the country, they aren't kidding. Traffic isn't just limited to rush hour because there are so many people who don't work standard business hours. Santa Monica to Hollywood can easily take 90 minutes. 

I need some help.  My DD has been training at her current studio for 3 years.  She is ready to move on.  We are driving to Cuizon Ballet twice a week to train -- we live in Orange County.  We can only drive twice weekly to Cuizon due to the long driving distance.  The problem is,  I can't locate any non Vaganova non ABT solid studios close to us.  I am looking at Larchmont Ballet, Nouveau Chamber Ballet and Anaheim ballet.  My DD likes the Balanchine style, but she still needs some solid classical ballet training. If anyone has any experience with the above studios, or any other thoughts, I would love to know.  

Thanks so much! 

Edited by Sah

Is there a reason she doesn't want Vaganova or ABT?  From what I can tell, ABT is pretty straight classical.  Similar to cecchetti (spelling?).  There are some very good studios in OC.  

I don't think Long Beach Ballet teaches Vaganova or ABT style of ballet...might be worth taking a look.

She has tried Vaganova -- Southland Ballet -- and doesn't like the style.  She has done the ABT SI in OC and it wasn't her favorite because levels are heavily based on age.  I would put her in Southland Ballet or Charles Maple, but she won't go and I don't want to force her.  

Ah!  I was going to mention Southland but was thinking it might be Vaganova.  I forgot all about Maples! Well, the only place I know of that is Balanchine is Los Angeles Ballet - and that would be far!  Any chance you would drive to San Diego County?   I know San Elijo Dance & Music Academy is Balanchine.   Long Beach Ballet is also really nice classical ballet.  Larry Rosenthal (? Rosenblum?) is a fantastic teacher - just love his insight and helpfulness. 

Yikes - correction, ANAHEIM Ballet - not Long Beach Ballet.  Anaheim Ballet is really nice - with Larry Rosenthal (maybe Rosenberg?). Sorry about that!

Long Beach Ballet is also really nice and they put on a fantastic Nutcracker.  The AD is David Wilcox.

My daughter attends ABT Gillespie School. Last year she attended the Young Dancer Program and it felt nothing like the regular school to her. I don't know how soon you need to make a decision, but the school is going to have six weeks of summer classes again this year. Last year they were open to non-ABT students. I can't remember what they did for placement classes for them, but it would give your daughter a better feel for the school, I think. 

Thank you so much for all of your replies!!  My daughter is attending the SAB NY SI and I was going to take her to different studios after she returns, so I don't have to make a quick decision.  The San Elijo studio looks very good and i'll definitely look into that.  I am also going to look into Anaheim Ballet.  I also like the idea of having her do a week at ABT just to make sure she really doesn't like it.  I knew you guys would have excellent suggestions for me.  Again,  thanks so much.

Sah, have you looked into Westside Ballet, in Santa Monica?

Yes, i've considered Westside Ballet and Los Angeles Ballet, but i'm not sure about the drive.  I think i'll have her take placement classes at several studios and see what the right "fit" for her is.  If she found the perfect studio, then I would drive.  She really wants to dance professionally, so i'm trying to make the right choices for her.  I really appreciate everyone's help.  

Hi! I'm looking for suggestions for drop in ballet classes in LA or Orange County. I'm moving to Azusa (east LA in the San Gabriel valley) next fall for college. 

I have found various studios that offer ballet classes as a drop in, however they don't seem to be high quality and hip hop is their focus. I'd prefer to find a pre-professional school that offers drop ins. Any suggestions?

Westside Ballet has great adult ballet classes for all levels.