WhiteMorningStar

Ballet schools in California - Los Angeles

132 posts in this topic

ABT Gillespie School (in Costa Mesa) has adult drop-in classes four mornings per week this year. They end on March 31, but they may start them up again in the fall.  They are usually taught by Alaine Haubert or Sharon Savoy.

Alaine Haubert is an excellent teacher!

I have looked into Westside, but it's a bit of a drive. I'll be living in eastern LA so I'd have to go through downtown to get there. Does anyone have any suggestions for the east side? Or even Orange County as that is pretty close to my future college.

Maybe Inland Pacific? They're in the Claremont area, I think.

Abbylovestodance,

Why don't you take a look at Maple Conservatory...

If you're looking for rigorous Vaganova training, I'd recommend Arsen Serobian's new studio, Dance Channel TV Studios in Encino. It's a hardcore academy, and we love it. It's been open maybe two years and already one student is at the Bolshoi Academy and one got a full scholarship to JKO year round program, and is going this fall. He also has stretch classes and adult classes.  

Edited by imaromancewriter
Forgot a part.

If anyone has any recent knowledge about Lauridsen Ballet/South Bay Ballet, I would love to hear it.  I am looking for information on quality of their training program in upper levels -- levels 5 and up.  Thanks!!

Sah, Lauridsen Ballet is classical style. Southbay ballet company does a nice Nutcracker, in addition to a classical/contemporary and storybook performances every year. The AD is really into RDA and does not allow students to participate in competitions until they are at the most advanced level (6+). There are no privates offered, with the exception of Pilates, and this requires recommendation from the AD. The teaching is solid. 1-2 students/year move on to professional contracts (several at SFB, one at Joffrey, one at Oklahoma City, one at LA dance project over past few years). Misty Copeland famously trained there for a couple years to clean up her technique prior to joining ABT. Ashley Ellis (principal at Boston ballet) also trained there. Definitely worth checking out a class. 

MBdancers,  Thanks so much!!

I'm new to Los Angeles and am looking for a ballet studio for my daughter.  I am seriously considering Los Angeles Ballet.  My daughter has tried a class and was placed in Level D (highest level).  If anyone has first-hand knowledge of this studio, especially the upper levels,  I would really appreciate input.  Thanks.  

Hi,

Is LABS the only balanchine based school in LA area? Westside is not strictly Balanchine anymore, and a friend of ours confirmed that they use almost all pointe classes for rehearsals, so it is not very ideal for us. Does anyone know any teacher that carries Balanchine style and offers private? We have been trained under a Balanchine school, and there are some nice and unique qualities that we would love to keep. Thank you! 

Have you looked at Colburn? I know there are posters here with first hand knowledge. We only looked into it maybe 3 or 4 years ago because dd was looking for the Balanchine style specifically and it had been recommended.