princess_skye

dancing during certain times of the month

18 posts in this topic

Ok well :blushing: ,

I'm 15, 3 years ago I stopped dancing all together and then more recently started again. In the time when I wasn't dancing I started periods. Since I've started taking classes again I have some how managed to have my period on weeks or days when I havn't been dancing, however my next one is due soon and I'm planning to dance pretty much for the whole of the easter break, I have never danced with my period before and wondered if it was ok to do so and if so, what to do about it.

This probably sounds real stupid but and I'm feeling abit embarrased about posting this, but I have no one else I feel I can ask.

best wishes xxx

Just treat it like a normal day really. It might feel wierd at first, but then you get used to it and it's fine. Just where a pad and then dance like you usually do! No one will notice, I promise! :blushing:

Ballettrx, I know you are relatively new, but we do ask students not to give advice on YD, and only add their thoughts after the teacher/moderators have responded.

Hello Princess skye, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :blushing:

Getting your period is just a normal part of life, and dancers definitely do not stop dancing for that. Some schools will allow the dancers to wear short ballet skirts to class for a couple of days during this time, or some might even allow black tights. But, if not, it's really nothing to worry about. I would hope, though, that you would learn to use a tampon as soon as possible, if you haven't already, as it is far better than a pad. Most dancers would not be at all comfortable wearing a pad under tights and leotard.

I definetly agree with Mrs. Leigh...

tampons rule.

thank you :ermm:

We are pretty free about what we wear and at pineapple you can wear whatever as it is dop in based really, at the dance schools near me where my friend goes they can wear shorts too if they wish.

thanks xxx

Oops! sorry Ms. Leigh. I forgot!

Don't be embarassed!! I'm 14 and just got my period for the first time; and I danced that very day!! I didn't try a tampon right away, and just used a smaller pad (it was "body shaped" so it worked better). But I am definitely planning on trying tampons next time!! :yes:

You should definitely try tampons though. Dancing with just a pad is kind of scary, in my opinion, because you move around so much, and pink tights won't hide much.

I handle it with some ibuprofen and a tampon,then go on like any other day.Exercise actually makes me feel much better,even if I feel crappy beforehand.

I agree with LittleDropOfSunshine. I take the liquid filled Advil and wear a tampon. Dancing always makes you feel better, and it takes your mind off the pain! :o

I do have to admit that I just got my period at RDA fastival, 2 days ago. It stinks, because I got it a couple minuets before we had to leave the hotel, so I learned to use a tampon VERY QUICKLY. But I have horrible cramps, and when I dance it makes it feel so much better, but when I'm done dancing it's horrible! I found Midol to work, but only for a couple hours (i only took one). *Also the tampon sports work really well incase any of you guys were wondering about them. :)

This probably sounds stupid, but I can't use a tampon! It just doesn't work. What I do is I just wear a pad with my leotard. It usually works just fine.

balletrx, it just takes a bit of practice, and sometimes a lot of patience. :) Start with a junior size.

what would be a good thing to do if you dont happen to have any pads or tampons with you at ballet when you get it?

First, you should probably always carry one or two in your dance bag just for emergency purposes. Secondly, if you did not do that, you will need to get one from a friend who, hopefully, is prepared for this situation.