macleb

can't keep my knee straight

5 posts in this topic

I find it almost impossible to fully straighten my knee when my leg is lifted. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help get my knees straight. The last time that I got my leg completely straight, my leg froze up. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

macleb :shrug:

Can you completely straighten your knee when standing on it? If so, then the problem may not be the knee. Does it bend on all extensions, at every level and front, side and back, or is it straight when it is below 90º? It helps to know if the knee is capable of straightening or not. If it is, then it is a matter of strengthening the right muscles to maintain it straight when lifted. Sometimes that takes getting through the growth spurts, but, you can also work on it by doing some exercises to strengthen the quads. There are threads about this somewhere, and one that is relatively recent, so I will try to find it for you.

Later:

Okay, I found it. Here is the link: http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=36628

My leg can straighten in a tendu, it's when I do aerabesque ( can't spell sorry) when I can't straighten it. Thanks for the link!

macleb

ps..... can I go on the buddy board now?

If you can straighten it in a tendu, you can straighten it in an arabesque. It just takes a bit more effort. :wink:

Yes, you may go on the BB now.

Thank you sooo much for letting me on the buddy board, and for all of your advice

macleb