Guest LizzyA

Ballet Schools in Australia - Queensland

29 posts in this topic

Cane toads notwithstanding- my family and I are giving some serious thought to moving to Brisbane (we live in NSW) for several reasons including our DS ballet education. We live in a regional town with lots of performance focused dance schools but little opportunity for full time ballet study. He is 13 and wants to be professional. Can anyone give me any thoughts on the ballet scene in Brisbane? I am aware of the Queensland Ballet, QUT etc but would really like to know more. thanks in advance!

Prudence Bowen has a fantastic school on the Gold Coast which is small classes and audition only, and in absolutely beautiful studios. Look up Prudence Bowen Atelier.

I was wondering if anyone in Brisbane has any experience with the part-time Excellence Programme at the Qld National Ballet or the Brisbane Dance Centre in Albion?

I'm not interested in Eisteddfods particularly, but more so just good quality classical training for my 8yr old who has danced for the past 4 years.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Auchinlea

hi Auchinlea- I see you havent heard anything on your question. I know that there are a couple of QLD members who could help you with this but I guess they havent seen your message. Hopefully my reply will bump it back on to the active list! As a guest you cant PM but perhaps if you join and 'get busy' you could chase them down :)

Sorry, I don't have any experience with either :(

While I did live in Queensland for several years, I was in Oakey and then Toowoomba, so can't help much here either.

Hello Auchinlea, I know of both Qld National Ballet and Brisbane Dance Centre but do not have personal experience. Qld National Ballet follows Vaganova training whilst Brisbane Dance Centre is RAD. As you are probably aware there are lots of very good dance schools to choose from in Brisbane and most of them follow RAD. I'd probably arrange to visit both and ask for your DD to trial a class and see which is the best fit for you and your dancing child.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any information on Prudence Bowen as I may be auditioning for her school in a few weeks. Her students look stunning and she seems to have a very good reputation, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there that I've found apart from her schools facebook page and contact details and I don't want to keep pestering them with emails so if anyone has any experience/knowledge please share!

What sort of information are you after monbro13?

Anything! If I was accepted this would mean having to move countries so we are looking for any information that we can find. How many students she accepts, number of hours per week, the atmosphere etc. Any knowledge/experiences of her school at all really would be very helpful thanks :)

I can't help with atmosphere or hours per week - they are probably best answered by the school or PBA students, however the numbers accepted are in the region of 10-15 in the program each year. Most students stay in the program 2-3 years. The average age on the program is often between 14-18. There is help with DVD's and auditions at the conclusion of each students training. Prudence Bowen does have a exceptional reputation as a teacher, however I am not sure how high a percentage of the teaching she is doing now and into the future as she has had some health concerns in recent years, though I believe she does teach as much as possible.

I wouldn't worry too much about pestering them with emails, I would ask for the details you want as the school hopefully wants people's business and they are the best people to answer some of the more detailed questions.

Thank you! I believe that they have three main teachers as well as guest teachers sometimes which all seem to have great reputations. Do you have any experience with the audition process? I would imagine as there is only 10 -15 in the program that it would be quite hard to get into? If you have anymore information no matter how random please share :)

I do not have any more first hand information I am sorry, I would suggest continuing to contact the school to get further details. Best of luck with your audition!

Thank you :)