Guest dad

School of American Ballet

463 posts in this topic

Mamaluv, I didn't pay attention to what happened with girls but I know there are a few girls from my boys prep that did 2 years of prep and are now in girls 1.

Thanks michgem. That helps. It's hard to know whether to let her do another year of prep or switch schools where they'll move her forward. Most people swear by SAB though. I wish I knew more. Without feedback from school, it's hard to gauge.

Mamaluv, there are many good schools, and to be realistic there are very few kids who continue wanting to dance as the commitment ramps up and very quickly takes up all free time. in ballet moving up quickly is not always the best choice, children develop at different paces, in my experience as long as a child gets good training and enough attention in the class they will get where they need to be if they work hard and love the art. My experience with ballet is "slow and steady wins the race".

What is Prep 5 and what does it mean?

Prep 5 seems to be primarily the class for kids who do a second year of Prep. Kids move from that into the Children's division (I personally know several girls that did).

Edited by dancemaven
Removed second-hand "I heard" information per BTforD Rules and Policies.

Does anyone know what this year's SAB graduates are doing?

bumping???? Any word on this years' grads?

Did you try a Google search?

Four females and four males were chosen for New York City Ballet apprenticeships.  I believe other contracts include:  Dresden Semperoper Ballet, Royal Danish Ballet, Miami City Ballet, Charlotte Ballet, Orlando Ballet, Ballet Austin, Los Angeles Ballet, and Sarasota Ballet.  I am not sure if this includes everything; there may be others.

I know another dancer going to Nashville Ballet.

Hello.

I heard that even though SAB winter school Men's program offers only 14-17 hours of training per week, they have workshop classes taught by master teachers from around the country and the world. So the students have more hours of training than what's officially posted on their website.

Could anyone tell me what these workshop classes are like, who teaches them (SAB faculty or teachers or professional dancers from other schools), how often, etc?

We are not expecting our DS to be invited for winter school, nor planning to send him away this fall yet, but he is staring to think he needs more hours of training than 13 hours a week.  Age 15 now.

DD did summers at SAB and we had the same concerns about number of hours.  Here are our thoughts:

1.  The SAB teachers are quite demanding, will know all students names, and will have very specific corrections for each student.  They knew DD's name on the first day. There were never nametags.  All of the kids are working hard.  Most were trying to get into year round.  You have to be very driven and self-motivated.  You have to run your own personal cross training program with very few resources (unless you are going to do a summer membership to a gym and there are several very close.) They get 1 pilates mat class per week. Boys probably do get weight training.

2.  SAB classes are quite brisk in 2 ways a) the choreography/style is very quick and b ) there is no.time.wasted. 

I remember a teacher saying when I observed, "No standing around there in the back, let's have each group go as soon as the other finishes."  Barre moves from exercise to exercise as soon as the teacher can get the words out of his/her mouth to describe the next exercise. Classes start on time and end on time. No.time.wasted.  It is a demanding environment.

3. During summer there are a number of required programs on everything from nutrition, to meet/greets, to injury prevention. There are also weekend outings (after Sat class.) 

4.  At SAB there are a number of performing opps in year round in the upper level men's division that will included rehearsal. Winter Ball, Choreographic, Lecture Demonstrations, and Year End Workshop.  This will depend on your casting.

5.  It seems that a great number of schools and companies audition at SAB so in Jan/Feb and April/May there are a number of classes.  I don't know about SAB inviting professional teachers from other schools unless they are auditioning? Maybe someone would know that at year round.

6.  You did not ask this but I will volunteer something.  I would suggest that you do talk with your spouse about "What if he gets asked,"  just so that you know how you would respond. Many kids get asked who have not expressed any interest. I am just suggesting this because people are caught off guard. If your child is not ready, then no is no but you need to think about your young adult and all that this entails. 

And here's what I have observed.  At any given time the teachers in the class are evaluating your kid against the other kids and the standards for a given group in year round.  Decisions about year round will shift from year to year based on the number of slots available and the particular collection of kids in a certain group.  My point is you need to see those decisions as one based on a specific moment in time and know that the same conditions may or may not be in place at a future SAB summer.  This does not mean that anyone should send a kid to a residential program who is not ready and it does not mean that an invitation would not be reextended in the future but it does mean that in a future year your kid could look different with a different group of kids and a different teacher. Last year there were a lot of spots in the dorm (like 20?) but this year I think that there will be less." 

7.  Year round it's not 30 hours.  With rehearsals it may be 20-23 hours depending on casting?? 

[Material below is NOT SAB specific- Mods feel free to strike.]

We know people who do 30 hours per week.  DD is at a residential school and honestly, I don't believe that she could do that and take hs classes.  She dances about 18 hours/week without rehearsals.  You need AT LEAST 4 hours per day to do high school.  If you then danced another 5 hrs/day x 6 days per week you would have a 9-hour day with dance classes and high school M-Fri leaving very little time for sleep, stretching, cross training, Pilates, eating, and relaxing. You would get very strong, potentially burned out, and possibly injured depending on what your body could take while going through growth spurts etc.

learningdance, thank you for your response with a lot of details and things to think about.  After I read your post, I understood where to look in the website, and found out about students' opportunities for performing.  When I heard about the "workshop" before, I assumed those were classes.  It's more like a school performance.  It says SAB faculty and the dancers in the City Ballet teach those workshop rehearsal classes. Those opportunities sound great, but it does state as you mentioned, "select students" will participate and perform, not for all students.  

Thank you also for the food for thought on what to anticipate for unexpected invitation for the winter school.   I think it's a "no is a no" stage for us, but he is 15 already, so I will have conversations on it.