Lina

Joffrey Ballet's Academy of Dance

143 posts in this topic

Do you know how they accept people into their year round program? Would I have to audtion for the SI and then hope to get accepted or if I got accepted into the SI would I call and ask about it before hand? And do you know where I can find information such as cost? The website is not very helpful, unforntuntly. As for a host family, I'm not quite sure. I may try to find somewhere else because I would be much more comfortable dorming somewhere.

Molly, auditions for the Trainee program have already passed for this year. From what I can tell the trainees do have dorms available to them but you must be 17-20 years of age. Otherwise you would fall into the category of the Youth Division (age 9-16) and I do not see where there is the option for housing. If I were you and intent on going to Joffrey as a trainee I would stay home for another year and get as many HS credits as possible in order to graduate early. Then next year when you are eligible for Joffrey Trainee you are free to go. Good luck. My D also has her eye on this program in the next few years.

Joffrey Trainee Program

Molly- go the the thread for trainee, apprentice, second companies where the various programs are listed and click on the Joffrey Chicago trainee program. I have posted specific info there regarding your questions. If you have any more- I will try to answer them. Keep in mind that the Academy just officially started in January of this year. Their first SI was this summer. This is the first trainee class which starts in September. After we get our DD settled in, I'm sure we will be able to answer more questions.

Thanks you very much! I will be looking at that post you've made. When I auditioned for Joffrey last year I got into all three (Midwest, South and NY) but Chicago was obviously not included in the audition. Do you know if there is any way to let the teachers know you are hoping to go there year round before the audition or during the intensive before they accepted people? I'm worred I'll go to the SI and not get in then have no where to go year round. I may have a host family if I get in and I would really like to go to Joffrey! My parents would really appericate it too

Thanks!

Molly- so as not to be confused.... The other Joffrey programs are separate from the Joffrey Company and school in Chicago. This is a separate audition for the Chicago SI and year-round programs.

Thank you, I knew the bit about the Joffrey Chicago being seperate. But are you saying that there is an audition for the year round program? I could not find it on the website. Also, I looked but I couldn't find the information you said you posted, I'm sorry.

If You are attending the summer SI, you can ask to be evaluated for the year round program. If not you will have to call & ask for information on the audition process.

Thanks!! On the website where it talks about the pre-professional program it talks of an audition every August and June. It also says there are dorms. Are these the auditions I would be looking for or would I still need to be evaluated at the SI?

Edited by Molly

Molly- the thread with alphabetical listings of "Trainee, Second Company, Apprentice & Post-Grad. programs" is what you are looking for. There is a listing for Joffrey Chicago with info on the trainee program there. That program has set audition dates that are yet to be listed for next year.

The Pre-pro program is a different audition at the beginning of the school year. I would call the school for info if you want to audition for next year in the pre-pro versus the trainee program.

Yes, the pre-pro is deffenitly what I'm looking for, I'm not quite ready for a trainee spot yet, I'd like to imporve much more before I put myself out for trainee spots. =]

I will try to find the Joffrey topic again!! My computer has been really weird and while some guy came in and fixed it I still think it's a bit messed up. =/

Ok so I want to make sure my knowledge is actually correct here...at Joffrey what is the differnce between the youth program, pre-pro program, and the trainee program? Sorry about all the questions I've been posting!!

Ok so I want to make sure my knowledge is actually correct here...at Joffrey what is the differnce between the youth program, pre-pro program, and the trainee program? Sorry about all the questions I've been posting!!

My humble summary-Pre-pro program is a required number of classes per week dependent on level. In the youth program you can sign up for as many individual classes as you wish. The trainee program is an intense training program with classes and workshops designed as a "finishing" program for emerging professionals.

Those sound like pretty fair criteria, but for an accurate reading of what those categories mean at Joffrey, a direct conversation with the school is necessary. Names for groups is good for the purposes of identification, but essentially meaningless. I mean, you could call a division at a school "Utica Drop Forge and Tool Company" and it would have about as much meaning. I could only infer from that, that the place would have a sense of humor, as that is what the management of the Metropolitan Opera House building allowed on Dorothy Parker and Robert Benchley's office door there, after they had disallowed the label "MEN". P & B had lots of visitors with that on the door. So I guess that you can call anything by any name as long as it is not actually misleading.

From the Joffrey website:

YOUTH DIVISION (AGES 9-16)

Instilling a passion for dance is critical in training young dancers. The Youth Division makes Joffrey-quality training accessible to students of all levels in a variety of disciplines with a schedule adaptable to their needs. Beginning students can experiment in different styles and discover where their passion lies, while intermediate-advanced students can enhance their training. Students from the Youth Division may have the opportunity to advance to our Pre-Professional Division by audition.

PRE-PROFESSIONAL DIVISION (AGES 9-14+)

The Pre-Professional Division of The Joffrey Ballet is designed to prepare students for a professional performing career. Artistic Director, Ashley C. Wheater, and Academy Artistic Directors, Anna Reznik and Alexei Kremnev, have created an unprecedented curriculum that will be taught by some of the world’s most sought-after faculty.

Admission into the Pre-Professional Division is by audition only. Auditions for the First Semester are in June and August of every year. Students interested in the program after the scheduled auditions should contact the Academy. Students are accepted into the program year round. For more information about placement auditions, please see AUDITIONS.

The program includes classes in ballet technique, pointe, pas de deux, character, repertoire, variations, male virtuosity, modern, core strengthening/stretch, and jazz. The Pre-Professional Division will also include special classes in, Dance History, Looking at the World through Art, Dance Careers, and Parents Class (educating parents on dance as a career, etc.).

TRAINEE PROGRAM (2009-2010)

The Academy of Dance offers a program specifically to meet the needs of 17-20 year olds from all over the world preparing for a professional dance career. Participation in the Trainee Program is by invitation from Artistic Director Ashley C. Wheater and Associate Artistic Directors Alexei Kremnev and Anna Reznik.

The Joffrey Ballet Trainee Program is a 1-2 year program where Trainees train daily in ballet technique, pointe, pas de deux, as well as character, male virtuosity, jazz, modern, and other dance disciplines. Trainees will rehearse and perform classical and contemporary works from The Joffrey Ballet repertoire and will have the opportunity to work with guest choreographers as well as Artistic Director Ashley C. Wheater.

The Trainee curriculum also includes classes in dance history, acting, pantomime, theatrical makeup, costume, lighting design, and strength training. Trainees will attend special workshops on audition techniques, pedagogy, handling business and financial matters, as well as exploring other career options.

Daily classes run Monday-Friday 1:00pm-6:00pm and Saturdays 10:00-3:00pm. Additional classes and seminars will be offered for Trainees from 11:00-2:30pm..

It is a mystery to me why the Youth Division is listed as 9-16 and the Pre-Pro as 9-14+. I would bet they both accept students through high school.

Historically, the Joffrey company and its school have flown together in loose formation. As the Academy in Chicago is so relatively new a venture, direct contact with it is necessary to determine exactly what interpretation of the mission statement is in effect at this time. The more direct the contact, the better.