Lina

Joffrey Ballet's Academy of Dance

143 posts in this topic

Thanks for the help, I agree, Mr. Johnoson, that I probably need to contact them if I ever want my information straight. Does anyone know wheither it would be more effective to e-mail them or call them? Also, would they prefer I did it myself or if my parents took over from here? I have no idea on how companys feel about geting e-mail and phone call and I don't want to be a bother to them and make a bad impression before I've even audtioned.

Molly, it's a school. They would not have any students if people did not call and email. :angry: I would suggest calling, and I think perhaps that, for now, it might be best for a parent to do it.

Thank you Ms. Leigh!! Would you say the sooner I had my mom call the better? She doesn't really understand what I'm trying to figure out about Joffrey, so I'll have to train her in what to say first, but I know she would call for me. =]

Yes, I think it's always best to do important things sooner. :angry:

All right, thank you so much for all the help Ms. Leigh! Once I get all the information I'll be sure to post it up here. =]

Does anyone have info about Joffrey pre-pro students (levels 3 thru 5) participating in Nutcracker this year?

Particularly, I'm curious to know if these students levels 3 thru 5 will have any roles that will allow them to dance on pointe in Nut. Both my dd's have done Joffrey's Nutcracker in past yrs but under Arpino's direction. Not sure if Wheater has changed the choreography since coming on board.

My daughter is blessed to be in the Joffrey Pre-Professional Program. My DD wanted to participate in Nutcracker this year, but there were no roles on pointe. All roles, as in the past, are on flat ballet slippers. The rehearsal times did conflict with her pointe class as well and she made the choice to not participate in Nutcracker because she did not want to give up that pointe class.

As for choreography, I do not know if it has changed or not. I guess I will know when we go see the show in two weeks! Will post any observations indicating a change in choreography at that time. Pointe or not, it is a wonderful opportunity for any young dancer to dance with professionals and see how a professional ballet company operates. The experience was one we will never forget!

My dd is level V pre-pro. The children's cast still has a strict age and height restriction. This limits most of the more advanced students from participating. My dd participated for 3 years from ages 8-11. It was a fabulous experience. My dd and I'm sure most of those you ask would report that the children dance way below there dance ability BUT have each movement "perfect". Audition young and enjoy.

My DD is interested in this school for fall 2010. She is 15 and is interested in the Pre-Pro division.

We live in a different state so this would require quite a bit of planning.

What I am wondering is if auditions are for placement only? Or are they selective as to who may attend the school?

From our experience they will find a placement for all to attend. They are particular about level placements. However, my opinion is that since this programs first year has been met with extreme praise from dancers and parents look for it to get more crowded and perhaps more selective. Parents got a survey regarding class size, costs, class times, teacher quality etc... I believe in anticipation of increased enrollment for next fall.

Does anyone know what the age range is of dancers in level 4? Level 5?

does anyone know how the levels will be structured next year?

I walked in today at 10 East Randolph Street and loved the studios. Reception offered to set up audition for pre-pro but I explained I live too far away. (If only...and someday). They do offer a Saturday youth classes (not pre-pro ) with 4 different levels. They are ages 9-11 beginning ballet, 11-16 intermediate ballet, 11-16 advanced ballet, and 12-16 teen basic ballet, but you should call ahead.

Here'a kicker, I was given 3 tickets to the Alvin Ailey performance tonight that someone had made available free! Oh YEAH, this must be love. Just everything felt right.

This is one of the programs that DD is considering for summer. Her acceptance letter included level placement for the year round program. Does anyone know if she would have to attend summer, in order keep this placement for year round?

ellajuliet, you should probably call them and ask. I don't think that the question lies so much in keeping the level placement for fall, but whether she would forfeit acceptance for fall by not attending summer. DD was told that she was accepted for fall but that summer attendance was required. If you are local and she already attends Joffrey year-round, maybe that would be waived? I would think that the level placement for fall would remain if she goes for fall, but most ballet schools always reserve the right to adjust levels if they feel that it is needed, so one can't ever be sure.