Lina

Joffrey Ballet's Academy of Dance

143 posts in this topic

Thank you pointeprovider. We are not local. DD is interested in year round, but from my understanding that they do not have housing available?

DD(16) is trying to decide between three options for summer and she is a little overwhelmed. The year round placement seems to be adding to the confusion. Trying to gather as much information here before I call, since I am sure they are getting a lot of calls!

ellajuliet, Joffrey does not officially offer housing at this time, to my knowledge. For those who are accepted to the trainee program, they do negotiate a certain rate with one particular apartment building downtown, but there is no Joffrey supervision involved; it is just one choice. Some trainees live there; others find other housing on their own, either alone or with roommates chosen from having met during the summer. At age 16, you could at least ask about some of these options, even if she isn't a trainee. I hope it all works out.

Thank you pointeprovider. We are not local. DD is interested in year round, but from my understanding that they do not have housing available?

DD(16) is trying to decide between three options for summer and she is a little overwhelmed. The year round placement seems to be adding to the confusion. Trying to gather as much information here before I call, since I am sure they are getting a lot of calls!

Ellajuliet, I have been accepted in teh sumemr intensive and pre-pro. I am 17 years old and I am from Argentina. This will be my first summer intensive, I hope during the summer I find I nice roommate to stay with at the apartment the school suggested.

Hope to meet your DD.

Ayelen :)

We are thinking of switching from our suburban school to the Joffrey in the fall. To be honest, we have heard very mixed reviews, from one extreme to the other, about the school.

Could anyone share their experiences, both good and bad, about the school? My daughters have both done Nutcracker, so have had experiences with Alexei and Anna, but this is very different from the pre-pro school.

Any thoughts would be a great help!

I go to Joffrey now. I am in level four. Currently, we have classes four days a week. I wish that my level had at least a fifth ballet class or even better six ballet classes a week. I love Ms. Anna and Mr. Alexei’s classes. I do not have them every day though, or at all for pointe. I feel I am improving. All the teachers are defiantly good and I feel we are being trained pre-pro. The studios are beautiful and big for the most part. A problem at the school is communicating what the directors and teachers want to the parents. This is more an issue for my mom then me. For example I car pool with a girl who also takes class. There was a dress rehearsal for a show I was not a part of, but she was. The e-mail said that ONLY the cast that was going to be doing the dress rehearsal had to be there. That changed five minutes before class began. The school directors wanted everyone there. Thankfully I was able to work it out, but if I hadn't I would have had to stay an extra three hours to go to a rehearsal for a show I was not in. Otherwise, I do like the school. We get to also do character, jazz, Pilates, and repertoire in addition to ballet and pointe. I commute from about an hour and a half away, but I definitely think it is worth taking classes.

Can anyone share what the experience is for the trainees concerning the level of training they receive, preparation for professional dance, living arrangements, etc.?

Yesterday David Hallberg gave a master class to students and trainees. DD said there were about 40 in attendance and there was a waitlist, too. DD said it was a wonderful class and experience. She has been talking about it non-stop. She said the combinations were challenging and quick. He also did a Balanchine combination.

The class was scheduled to be an hour long but he went ovetime probably 30 minute.

Kudos to Academy Artistic Directors Anna Reznik and Alexei Kremnev for providing such a wonderful experience for students and trainees !The Academy also has a field trip planned to see ABT's Giselle this weekend.

Thanks for the note on this, kiwiwdancer! My DD was too young by two months to participate in this class and she was so disappointed. But her teacher yesterday allowed the dancers to leave class in small groups for 5 minutes to view the class from the observation deck. She caught a glimpse of David Hallberg very casually demonstrating a pirouette combination where he pirouetted 5x and kept talking. DD was glad in the end that she did not take the class, though, because it would have been too advanced. What a great opportunity for the students!! We are going to Giselle on Saturday so are looking forward to that!

SewRibbons, That's what DD said about Mr. Hallberg's turns! And she said his releve was to die for he would be "chilling" on releve while talking for an extended time, according to DD! I wasn't sure of the age limit all pre-pro V/VI were invited. DD was in heaven when Mr. Hallberg gave her 2 "good" comments on a leap and an Adagio combo, which is usually her weakness. Its inspiring to the aspiring dancers to have such a skilled teacher and performer teach.

Kiwimom, DD is in second year at Joffrey Academy and loves it. We are not able to send her away to a residency program and she wants as close to a traditional high school experience as possible, so Joffrey is wonderful for this. The level, quality and quantity of training DD receives is BY FAR superior to any loca Chicago area, suburban studios she has attended. Faouburg, would be the only exception from DD's experience and opinion.

DD feels Joffrey is supplying the tools and skills she will need to attempt a professional career. The local studios she has attended could not meet her needs even remotely. We believe the local studios have their purpose; they give performing opportunities and the chance to feel like a star and that is very fine if that is what a dancer wants. From attending summer intensives, DD knew she was behind in her training compared to other serious ballet students. She knew the local studios were not giving her what she needed. She felt corrections were not accurate for her, that the teachers had a "that's good enough" attitude. She gets the exact opposite at Joffrey.

It's not perfect there, no one place is, but I have seen a DRAMATIC improvement in DD technique and attitude,. She is so much happier, challenged adequately, praised adequately, pleased with her own progress. We believe the difference is in the true pre-pro schedule, the teaching style and type of students attending.

DD also attended last night's master class at the Academy and was equally thrilled. She can't wait to see Halberg performing with Osipova Saturday night. And I completely agree with kiwidancer that sincere thanks go to the ADs for creating such a wonderful opportunity for the students.

We saw some excellent performances by the trainees in the Minority Choreographer program a few weeks ago.

Does anyone know when this year's evaluations are expected? My DD's teacher told the class it would be last Friday, but nothing came. (Maybe the teacher was referring to when they had to have them in to the ADs.) I was hoping to have gotten something by now since they will be very busy with the SI starting next week.

Also, any word on whether they will be sent via snail mail or email? The last ones were done by email.

I hesitate to call and ask because I don't want to bug them.

Joffrey Academy has announced a new Managing Director: http://joffrey.org/node/7324.

What I noticed in the press release was mention of a possible future satellite location in the suburbs. A few months ago, Joffrey families received a survey about interest in a suburban location, which raised my hopes. This very interesting; I wish I knew more.