Lina

Joffrey Ballet's Academy of Dance

143 posts in this topic

What is in the pre professional audition? Can you describe this in this in detail

I am 13 years old and I have been dancing for two years now, 2 times a week. I want to audition for Joffrey Chicago pre professional program. Fyi i am not on pointe,so should I audition and can someone describe the audition for Joffrey Chicago.

balletgirl98, The website describes the audition and you do not have to be en pointe at your age, there is a specific audition time for 10-13 year old, you would attend that.

2013-2014 Pre-Professional Auditions at Joffrey Tower
Tuesday, August 6, 2013

• Audition: 5:30 - 7:00 pm, Ages 10-13
  • Audition: 6:00 - 7:30 pm, Ages 14 and up

if you really wish to audition, then you might want to give it a try. There is a fee and the worst that can happen is they do not accept you, but then you would know what you would need to work on to try again. You are young so why not give it a try if you have the money and are able to attend the audition. Talk to your parents and if they approve, you might want to give it a try.

The audition is just like a ballet class...an hour and a half with barre work and center. This link has all the information you need to audition.

http://www.joffrey.c...sional-audition

I know but each audition is different,so can someone describe this one for joffrey Chicago

balletgirl98- we are trying to be helpful, but perhaps we are misunderstanding what exactly you want to know?

Auditions are ballet classes, pure and simple, and all you can do is go try your best within the age range where you fit. Go to the 10-13 audition wearing requisite ballet attire with your hair neatly done and clean ballet shoes. Take the class, take whatever corrections they offer and apply them, and enjoy!

The outcome will be what it will be.

I mean like the details like how is th class, what is in the audition,etc

It will be more Russian-based, since Anna and Alexei are the Co-Academy Directors, and you can be sure the class will include normal ballet class vocabulary, like pliés, along with typical centre ballet work.

As each audition may be slightly different, there is no possible way to tell you in advance exactly what will be contained in each combination. Go and do your best!

Ok because I take checetti not vagonova,

Can anyone tell me the approximate age range for levels 5, 6 and 7 of Joffrey's pre pro program? Do students often spend several years in each level? Thank you.

Can anyone tell me the approximate age range for levels 5, 6 and 7 of Joffrey's pre pro program? Do students often spend several years in each level? Thank you.

Edited because my daughter did the pre-pro two-week intensive, not the full-year program. Sorry!

Edited by lakemom

For year-round, most Level 5 students are 14-17, Level 6 students are approximately 17-18 (most this year are HS seniors). There is no Level 7 in the year-round program.

Staying in the same level for more than one year is pretty common.

Just to add,level 5 and 6 take a lot of classes together...they split up,3 times a week for ballet and pointe...where there are separate classes on those days. the level 6 seems to learn advanced variations and it is a smaller class size than the level 5. 5 and 6 take modern, character and jazz together and perform the same roles in the shows.Any other questions I would be happy to answer. My daughter is graduating this year after 4 years in the academy.

Thanks so much Carrera and kiwiwdancer for the information. I would love to hear more about this program as we may relocate in the fall and are looking at Joffrey and Ballet Chicago. Kiwiwdancer, has your daughter been happy with the program? Can you tell me what some of the graduates of the program have gone on to do?

DD told me yesterday that next year level 5 and 6 will have every tech and pointe class separate. Right now there are 7 in level 6 and guessing 25 in level 5. This year the graduates of the pre-pro are; 2 (including my DD) going to college dance programs, 4 choosing the Joffrey trainee program. One undecided to enter Joffrey trainee program. I know that most of the dancers waffled between college and trainee up until the last minute which is May 1 for college decisions.My DD wanted college without a doubt as long as it was a BFA where she could be prepared for a professional career.

Ballerina 2001...Past pre-pro: many at Joffrey Trainee, SAB, apprentice for ABT, PNB professional school. ,several trainee or company member at Ballet Met, Boston Conservatory, U of Oklahoma Dance Program, Ailey/Fordham program. During these four years we have seen many drop dance altogether, discovering other talents or likes during high school and many comment that they wanted to do other things, that dance was taking over their life too much. This is true of dancers this age, I know it's not unique to Joffrey. The SI friends DD has made around the world have said similar things at this age.

Ballet Chicago is very Balanchine. Joffrey AD's are from Bolshoi. So, really two different styles. Some dancers choose Ballet Chicago because they have a lot of performances. Although, the three (plus small end of year showing) Joffrey does now each year,including a Joffrey ballet Women's board Gala at the Auditorium Theater have been very nice,In the Black box Studio productions of the nutcracker and a Spring Show (Bluebird of Happiness this year, and past...Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia),the trainees are the leads, so if you are looking for DD to be Sugar Plum, that won't happen here. But I must say the corps choreography is challenging and dancers are expected to pick it up quickly because there aren't hours and hours of rehearsals like at the local studio DD used to dance in middle school; hours and hours of simple choreo to slowed down music.

I like Joffrey because, as a very social person, my DD was able to attend public high school, be involved in usual high school activities like band,choir, Orchesis, attend school dances and other social events.Have a group of friends outside of the dance world has been very beneficial to DD as she has grown and expanded her world. Ballet Chicago has a similar daily schedule, where those students may have a life outside of dance and still get excellent training. If you don't home-school, be sure to check the high school schedule of when the day ends. Fortunately,DD was able to catch a 3:10 train for 5 pm classes. Another local high school doesn't get out until 3 and further from train so that would have been impossible. Another lets out at 3:30, but one could ask for early release, I suppose. DD has been able to take full class load, no study hall and still make it to class on time.making the college application process successful, i believe.

Ballerina2001 DD loves the Joffrey program! She entered with very rough technique, in fact weak technical training where curling toes was taught and other bad habits formed. Joffrey has turned her into a dancer with confidence and a great foundation. I watched her walk into each college audition owning it! My DD is an athletic dancer who has grown to love contemporary ballet and the foundation Joffrey supplied her is enabling her to pursue this. Jazz and modern are one day a week, and the modern is far from classic modern. the instructor kind of does his own thing. I would hope Joffrey gets a modern teacher that would be a bit more supportive and instructive,,,IMHO. When DD started the program was 3 or 4 years old, now a lot of the dancers in the pre-pro are coming from the ranks of the lower levels of the school and they have beautiful feet and turnout. I like the management there also, very professional. It is not like the local studios where parents camp out in waiting room ( at least at high school age) and "get to know" the instructors and management.Which, to me, is a good thing.