danceintheblood

Ballet Schools in Australia - Melbourne

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any reputable ballet schools in melbourne, Australia? We are relocating next year. I've been looking on the internet but it's difficult to guage the quality. One looked great looking at the schedule and general information, but when I looked at the gellery the technique looked sloppy, to say the least. I'd like to have a few options so when we are in Melbourne mid-year for auditions dd can also take a few trial classes. I need to select a school before we move as that will have a role in where we decide to live.

Thanks for any advice

Hi,

The Australian Conservatoire of Ballet has a very good training programme- several students from where I did ballet in Queensland moved to Melbourne to attend there, with very good results. It is based in Collingwood- quite inner city, but with lots of easy public transport access.

Is it possible for your daughter to audition for the Victorian College of the Arts? http://www.vcass.vic.edu.au/

That has the advantage of being a government school- much cheaper. Based in St Kilda. Again, good public transport access.

Newer programmes that I don't know much about:

There is some sort of ballet programme attached to one of the government schools in the Northern suburbs- from memory Montmorency SC or St Helena SC, although I can't find any info about it on their websites.....

The Bolshoi Ballet school- to be based in Hawthorn/Camberwell area. One of the girls from my studio has juat been accepted, so I may know more later.

The magazine 'Dance Australia' often has ads, and may be worth checking out.

Best wishes, Wembley

I know VCA's secondary school is good but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. One of my best friends was born and raised in Melbourne (and still lives there). His mother was actually a ballet teacher there before retirement so I can have him talk to her about schools in the area and see if she has any recommendations I can pass along.

Ok, the school I was thinking about in the Northern suburbs is 'Essentially Ballet' http://www.eballet.com.au/

I don't know anything about the school itself, but the area is nice to live in- I grew up in Eltham, just a few minutes away!

Does anyone know anything about this school [National Theatre Ballet School] in melbourne australia?

this may be stating the obvious but the Australian Ballet School is in Melbourne. They have an after school program, an interstate program and of course their

full time program for older students. Their website should tell you all you need to know. Good luck!

Does anyone know anything about this school [National Theatre Ballet School] in melbourne australia?

Yes, NTBS has a good reputation, are you looking to train full time? (as in not attend school?). There are a number of very good full-time schools in Melbourne, or are you looking for just after school training? What age/level/intentions etc?

this may be stating the obvious but the Australian Ballet School is in Melbourne. They have an after school program, an interstate program and of course their

full time program for older students. If we were living in Melbourne, I would definitely try to send my DS there. Their website should tell you all you need to know. Good luck!

The ABS program's are all by audition only (even after school classes), so unfortunately you cannot 'send' anyone there :( It is an incredibly competitive program, and all students are assessed each year to continue on it. It is fabulous training as it is the feeder school for the Australian Ballet, but the yearly intake for each level is 20-30 students, and depending on who continues they may only intake a few students to replace those who did not continue. It is basically the Australian equivalent of the Royal Ballet School. You can do an international audition via DVD though so there is nothing to loose if you wanted to try.

yes thank you Miss Persistent for correcting the impression I gave that you could just 'send' your child there! It is a strict audition process. My DS was in the interstate program for a couple of years before 'exiting' at their discretion (meaning he wasnt given a place in the next year! :ermm: ). The training and facilities are great at the ABS and he really enjoyed his time with them. Highly recommend it for anyone in a position to audition :clapping:

The Australian ballet school is the best ballet school in Australia, and it is in Melboure.

Australia Ballet School best school in Australia? not too sure about that. I would also strongly agree with the recommendation of Christine Walsh's Australian Conservatoire of Ballet. Our dance school in Newcastle is associated with the ACB and the standard of teaching and training is excellent. Worth reading their website www.acbaustralia.com.au

I would definitely be backing Australian conservatoire ballet full time program.

NTBS is also a very reputable

I would also suggest Ballet theatre Australia. It has quite a good name as well.

I'm not sure that what we do here is name the "best" ballet schools anywhere. All the schools mentioned are led by highly expert professionals and would give an excellent dance education.

Hello

has anyone had any experience with either Ballet theatre Australia or national theatre ballet school,both in Melbourne?