Mobadt

RDA festival Southeast Region

74 posts in this topic

mamasokol,

Welcome to Regional Dance America! You and your company will find the festival experience educational, fun and rewarding! I hope that some of the BT members will chime in about SERBA and all that you and your dancer can look forward to.

Thank you Kathleen Sinclair! I know my daughter and the other dancers and their teachers are really getting excited. I look forward to hearing all about the trip - already sounding like such a fun opportunity.

DD (a high school junior) was chosen by her AD to participate in the scholarship classes offered at SERBA. She was given a sheet and asked to number her choices 1-10. Is there any advise I can give her for numbering (she's been pondering her numbering for a week now)? She was going to list her chosen summer program as #1 and #2 (2014 and 2015) and then chose 2015 options for the rest.

There were three college programs listed as going to be there but they are not on the sheet for ranking.

This will be her first festival and I'm so happy her directors joined SERBA before she graduates :)

Her director would be the one to help her in this area as they would know the parameters set by SERBA for auditioning and awarding scholarships.

DD and her ballet school are at their very first SERBA festival now. I know it's going great because I got a text message telling me she is in "ballet heaven" :)

Another SERBA under our belt - I've been to A LOT with 2 DDs.....

Overall I was very pleased with it this year. The teachers were great! Amanda McKerrow and her husband, John Gardiner are just delightful, caring and wonderful to watch in class. Exciting to watch her, and Mr. Gardiner is just a ball of energy! So inspiring!

Of course, all the other teachers are great, too! This year, was certainly one of the most impressive company-wise. I thought every night had some great pieces, and I would say that there were only a few that I thought could have been stronger. Friday night was excellent, as was Gala night. All in all, very impressive!

I did have 1 thing I was pretty disappointed about: the scholarship class. My DD was in the class and her 1st choices never bothered to assign anyone to give out scholarships or possibly even participate, even though they were listed on the application form. To me, that was not right considering I took an extra day off just to make sure my DD could attend the class since it was Wednesday night, and of course paid the fee and sent the paperwork in as requested. I don't think it's right to list a summer intensive program if they are not going to be actually awarding a scholarship. Our Director is looking into it for us, but I did want to say my DD was disappointed about that, and so was I.

Our dancers from the southeast region were invited based on our 2013 performance at RDA to perform the same piece again this summer at the International Ballet Competition. They are very honored to be invited. However, now the details of the trip are emerging. They will be in Jackson for two days, and will have two rehearsals and the performance. Other than that they have no other invitation to participate in any aspect of IBC. They are not invited to take any classes, they are not invited to view the competition or performances, they are not invited to attend the lectures or workshops.

Its a little disappointing to find that such expense and effort is being put forth for just five minutes on stage.

What an honor to be invited to be a part of this world competition! My daughter is at the IBC School and loving it! She really enjoys getting to see the performances each evening, and will surely be excited to know that your daughter (they have been at two SIs now together) will be dancing! The ticket prices are very reasonable, and are still available for purchase. I do hope that they will decide to watch some of the performances while there. Again, congratulations to your dd's company and to the SE Region!

It is an honor. It is a special piece, and very emotional to the girls, thank you. I will focus on the honor moreso than what they cannot do once they are there.

Trythis, when is their performance at IBC?

Thursday June 26. All the RDA Regions will perform their selected pieces that evening.

The RDA Exhibition performance will be held on Thursday, June 26th at 2pm. The performance is sponsored by Bloch/Mirella and tickets are available at the Thalia Mara Hall box office. The performance includes:

RDA/Mid-States: a ballet by Eddy Ocampo featuring dancers from throughout the MidStates region

RDA/Northeast: Pennsylvania Regional Ballet will perform 2 works - "Fragmented Memories" by Victoria Silva and a pas de deux from"When the Angels Danced" by Adrienne Dellas Thornton

RDA/Pacific: a ballet by Heather Gray "Intricate Blue" featuring dancers from the Pacific region

SERBA: 2 companies will be performing works by Kassandra Taylor Newberry - Gwinnett Ballet and Roswell Dance Theatre

RDA/Southwest: a ballet by Paul Meija featuing dancers from 15 SW member companies

Is there live streaming?

Oh it would be sweet if there was a live stream!