Temps de cuisse

RDA/Pacific Festival

68 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the theme of the Dancers' Party is this year? Last year they were asked to bring decorated shirts to swap with another dancer. Are there any plans for something like that again?

They will do a Tshirt swap again this year, but the theme sounds western. It will be a BBQ with line dancing. Bring your boots!

Is everyone ready? The festivities start tonight!

Dd is there now. Can't wait to hear updates.

DD is there. So far she is a having a blast! She was impressed by last night's performances. She took the modern audition this morning and loved it. This is her first festival, as she is new to her studio.

This is a gentle reminder to everyone involved with the RDA/Pacific festival going on right now. Do not trash talk companies in the hallways. Directors should not stand huddled together discussing denying scholarship opportunities and honor status to a specific company just because the directors of that company are not popular. I thought everyone was here to support dancers, not tear companies down. You never know who is sitting a few feet away and documenting the whole thing along with pictures.

Great Festival!! I'm exhausted!!

Well, the "quote" option doesn't seem to be functioning, but this is in response to Montqueen:

If this is actually happening then I am truly horrified and disappointed. Like you, I bought into the notion that this was all about what was good for the dancers, although, yes, I've suspected that scholarships went to the popular companies. Color me cynical, but I suspect that politics plays a part, as it does in almost everything.

If this were dancers doing this, they would be reported and reprimanded, but DIRECTORS?? Unfortunately, if the directors are doing it, then it's a safe bet that they're dancers are doing it as well. However, I will try not to let a few bad apples spoil the whole barrel. For the most part, DD's experience with RDA has been positive, and she has made many friends who have been supportive of her during the festival and beyond. The networking opportunities cannot be overlooked, as DD commented that the Ballet West AD recognized and addressed her by name at the gala. :)

I agree about the few bad apples. I always try to remind my daughter that someone's mother or grandmother could be sitting next to her in a theater watching a student production. Kindness and respect should always be the norm in these situations.

Montqueen and Cakers,

All issues concerning ethical behavior of any person/s at an RDA Festival should be privately directed to the region's review committee. If you are unsure of who to contact in your region please speak to your AD and they can connect you with the proper person.

All dancers audition for scholarships with a number and age and no other identifying information and all dancers are ranked according to the talents they show during the audition process. Rest assured no favors are made for 'popular' companies.

RDA/P is very pro-active in making sure all member companies and their directors get the feedback and guidance necessary for their company to grow and prosper. It is part of our mission and we take it very seriously.

We just received our packet for scholarship auditions at the Pacific region festival in Sacramento, but all the scholarships in our packet were for summer intensives. There is usually a listing for colleges/universities also. Is our packet incomplete, or are there no college scholarship auditions this year?

Cakers,

Check with your AD. The College/University paperwork went out with the summer intensive information together at the same time. Possibility they missed downloading the second attachment.

Nine colleges/universities will be in attendance:

Adelphi University

Brigham Young University

Cornish College of the Arts

The Juilliard School

Palm Beach Atlantic University

Sacramento State University

University of Arizona

­­­University of Southern California: Glorya Kaufman School of Dance

Utah Valley University

We are disappointed with the list of attending Universities/Colleges this year. Only 9 compared to 14 last year. No Indiana, Boston Conservatory, UC Irvine, University of Utah. Is there any hope more will still attend?

Does anyone know if the "full length picture in dance attire" that must be submitted for the college interest needs to be straight on or can we use my daughter's arabesque picture?

@montqueen,

We had the same question last year and were told that the standard 1st arabesque photo was fine.