ddm

Average height ranges of major US companies

54 posts in this topic

Post #37 above!

I feel like there are more dancers who are on the taller side, and they are looked at more. Like to see more dancers who are 5'2, 5'3, and actually have nice leg muscles, lol

Grass is always greener. . . . . :D

True!!!!

I have been wondering this too. I have 4 daughters, I'm very short, DD11 is very tiny for her age and probably will be around 5'2". She doesn't have a long torso like some short girls do; what I mean is that she's proportionate for her height and has "long" legs for a short girl, if that makes any sense. Lots of time to go yet but I was curious if ballet companies tended to prefer taller dancers.

As mentioned above, read post #37.

A good way to get a better handle on preferred heights by companies is to actually read their audition notices. Some will call for specific height ranges. 5'4" and up seems to me to be a typical height listed in a call, but it will vary greatly.

Unless you have a crystal ball, it is hard to predict final heights even from age 11. I've seen tiny ones at age 11 end up the tallest in the class, sometimes defying what seems to be their own genetics (ie parents that are not tall). I've seen the tall one at age 11 stop growing. My own dd's estimated adult height was anywhere from 5'0 to 5'2, depending on the method employed. She ended up at 5'4.

Joriebelle -

I have a 14-year-old who, according to recent x-rays taken for a scoliosis visit, still has a lot of growth left in her plates. You just never know until they're done.

Also, your DD is 11. You're overthinking this. Even if a company prefers 5'8" dancers today, that same company might go through an artistic change and in five years decide they like 5'2" dancers.

I was just going to say what Pensive said. You never know what the height preference for any given company will be in the future. I'm hoping the pendulum doesn't swing too much as my dd is on the other end of the spectrum and would love to have some options other than the Rockettes!