Chronus24

No spell check? And more

21 posts in this topic

I use Firefox, if that makes a difference. The problem I'm having is that when I'm typing in the post window (the one I'm writing in right now), the blinky-cursor doesn't show up, I can't highlight text I've written, I can't move the cursor back without backspacing whatever I've already written, AND Firefox's auto-spellcheck doesn't work. Anyone know what I can do to fix this? It's QUITE annoying, lol...

The board's software does not have spellcheck, but the other problems you are having have nothing to do with the board, so, it must be your browser. Try opening the board with Internet Explorer and see if that makes a difference. (There still won't be spell check, but that is probably a good thing because if we did have it, it would go nuts with all the French terminology! :) )

I believe that Firefox has a support forum. Maybe they could help?

I'm on Firefox on a PC. The only thing not showing up for me is the Firefox spell check. Everything else works fine -- have you installed the latest Firefox update?

oh well I knew the board doesn't have a spell-check, it's through FireFox. But I'll compare what happens with different browsers...oddly enough, when I "fast reply" at the bottom of a thread, everything works fine...it's only when I'm on the actual "add reply/make new topic" screen...weird :-P...

What is your operating system? I use Firefox and have spell check, no problem when using it with Windows 7, it actually underlines words that it does not recognize in red, I right click and it gives me words that I might want to use instead. There is always a red line under pointe :) I did have to download additional software to get spell check on my OLD machine, it was Windows 98 (I upgraded last November - Yee Ha!). If you still can't get spell check, then just block copy into Word or some other word processing program, then block copy back.

Did the new website update add spell check? I do paste to Word to check mine but the extra step is kind of tedious in this age of technology. Is it a feature that is not in the software or just costly for you to activate?

Mine automatically does spell check within the post. I use Google Chrome, not sure if that makes a difference. I checked preferences (in my browser) but didn't see anything there allowing for spell check, nor do I see a special feature included in the settings here... besides being a browser issue, I'm not sure what it could be.

Evidently is has to do with the browser. I use Safari, and it does put the little red line under a misspelled word. Internet Explorer does not. :(

I also use Chrome, and it has spellcheck. I believe Firefox does, too.

Firefox does put the little red line under "misspelled" words :3dnod: ....unfortunately, I cannot seem to convince it that Canadian/British spelling is correct, and that "pointe" is a real word.... :glare:

Very few computers, software, brains, etc. acknowledge pointe as a correctly spelled word. HOWEVER, if you're using Firefox, simply right click (or left click depending on your mouse) and hit "add to dictionary". You have the power.

Thank you for that tip, dancepig! It works in Chrome, too.

You're quite welcome :clapping:

Very few computers, software, brains, etc. acknowledge pointe as a correctly spelled word. HOWEVER, if you're using Firefox, simply right click (or left click depending on your mouse) and hit "add to dictionary". You have the power.

B) I have the power! Thanks!