learningdance

Split sole vs. full-leather vs. canvas

7 posts in this topic

At what point are dancers typically asked to wear split-sole ballet shoes?

At what point do dancers typically wear canvas as opposed to leather?

My daughter wears canvas, split-sole ballet shoes. She is 7.

It depends on the school. Many schools have requirements for leather shoes or canvas shoes, or, they require leather in the early years and are allow more choice in the upper levels. If the school has no rules, then I would ask the teacher what is preferred for the level of the student.

At DD's home studio, the teachers preferred the dancers wear full-soled leather shoes for as long as possible. They believed the stiffness of the soles helped strengthen the feet and work them better. The girls usually did not switch to canvas or split-soled until early teens---and usually then, it was more a 'wannabe' idea of doing what their idols in the oldest classes were doing. Nowadays, I think the little girls start wearing the canvas and split-soled shoes much earlier----because that's what the moms buy because they are a bit less expensive.

I always think it helps to ask the 'why's' of what the teachers' prefer. It hadn't occurred to me that there was an actual reason they preferred the stiffer shoe soles when DD was younger. Once I asked, it made sense!

We wear full sole leather because it "works the feet." Just wondering if there were some universal guidelines or if this was just something particular to our situation. Now I know. Thanks

At my DD's school they wear leather full sole...all the way up to the prepro divisions. Can someone give me a primer...why would a school specifiy leather vs canvas or split sole vs full?

springflower, see post #4 . . . . :thumbsup: