dkd

No underwear?

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

FYI- search under youtube- there are a ton of good informational videos that are appropriate for girls this age that do a wonderful job explaining how to insert a tampon. This will save you embarrassment!!!

DD 11 hasn't had her period yet, but we've been talking about it. Even if you are embarassed, the key is to not make DD feel embarassed to talk to you about what is going on with her body.

Does a diva cup work well for a ballet dancer? It's all I use, but I'm not a dancer.

One of my daughters did only wear a pad for a few years after starting . . . she eventually decided to use tampons, but was just fine with pads for the first 2-3 years. She did not have heavy cycles, which made it easier to do, I'm sure.

I remember when my girls were little and realized it wasn't appropriate to wear underpants under their leos. They were so upset! Years and years later it is the norm.

I have been wondering what to do for DD12 when she starts her period. I was going to offer tampons, but if she isn't ready, I thought maybe some nude, seamless panties just for that time.

ETA: And we have never had a ballet teacher that approved of booty shorts. We are at a ballet studio right now and I don't think I've ever seen anyone daring to wear them, but even at our old competition studio the ballet teacher hated them. She said they ruin the look of your legs.

This is an old topic but since it is something that pre pubescent girls and their moms always think about I thought I would jump in. As established already, tights are underwear. My girls have always worn only tights. So far no other poster has mentioned that the pad can attach right to the tights. Only one of my daughters has started her period and I provided her with both tampons and pads and she was more comfortable with a pad. After trial and error with underwear it occurred to us that tights are underwear and if she wants to use a pad she should just attach to the tights. It works fine for her. It doesn't move around, it stays under the leo and it's not noticeable.

Take an old pair of tights and cut them into the shape of high cut undies. Attach the pad to that, instead of her regular tights and she will likely feel more secure. Eventually my DD switched to tampons, but this worked for a while and was fine. :) Hope that helps!

Dd wears tampons and has never won pads. There are smaller tampons that work well.

She does wear underwear when she has her period. We buy "raw cut" Victoria's Secret in nude. https://www.victoriassecret.com/panties/cheekies-and-cheekinis/raw-cut-cheeky-panty-sexy-smooth?ProductID=305608&CatalogueType=OLS&search=true

They are super thin and don't show under her leo.

Our DD doesn't have her period yet, but it is becoming a common topic among the girls and moms, as the level above and a few in her level are all going through this stage. Some start with tampons, some with pads then eventually transition. They all wear pads stuck right to the tights, typically a thin "thong" type as backup for tampons just in case of a leak (it happens, especially with 4-5 hour class &rehearsals). There are no booty shorts or undies allowed (classical ballet school), and all that have participated in the conversation have said undies are just not needed to hold the pads, if the tights fit correctly.

Great Idea logollady. I will definitely try that once my DD begins her period.

Hello,

My DD has not been wearing panties under her tights since she was 6. The studio she attends is very strict with this policy. She has simply been used to it and it does not phase her at all. she is now 12 and recently started her period. I left the decision up to her as to what she was comfortable using. She chose both. She uses tampons only for class and uses pad the other times. I suspect this will change as she gets older.

I assume that the reason for no underwear is because it looks for a better line... and neater. The sooner kids get used to it the better. BalletFamily, you can find xxs online for VS for the nude panties.

Hi, tampons are probably the way to go, think about competitive swimmers at this age, they just have to wear them or they can't swim. However I do have a suggestion.

We recently invested in the Thinx underwear. They are lifesavers and they WORK. They basically act like pads as they wick away any moisture. If it sounds unappealing, it really isn't, it is a paradigm shift. My daughter is not quite comfortable yet with the tampons and feels like she wants a back-up. Unfortunately, the only style that seems to work so they are not visible are the thongs which are intended for light days. It cuts really high, the waistband is quite sheer and you definitely cannot see that they are wearing them. They do also make a leotard but I think they are intended for kids that don't wear tights so perhaps more for modern, etc. Anyway, just a thought!