elbamash

College Program Admissions

8 posts in this topic

Momof3darlings, do you have any knowledge on ballet schools recruiting only one student from a training school? We have been told colleges will not accept more than one dancer from a school. This seems like nonsense, but any experience on this is appreciated.

Thanks

That's nonsense. Of course, depending on how large the program is and how many dancers audition, plus all the other considerations that go into building a class, it is possible that multiple dancers from that same school or company may not get in any given year.

I really don't know anything about University dance programs as my dd did not take this route, but I suspect that the number of "actively recruited" dancers from a particular school may be different from "dancers accepted from" that school.

I agree with mom2, the "actively recruited" might be more where that comes from. I have no authentic knowledge, however, I could easily see when it comes to scholarship dollars that they may say only one scholarship per audition or per visit, etc. I will say from round-a-bout knowledge of actual dancers we know that attended: The year DD graduated from high school 3 students from her program gained entrance to Butler , 1 with scholarship, 2 attended. The same year from a sister school of DD's 3 students were admitted to IU, 2 attended, 1 with scholarship. I call it a sister school because the owners were relatives and the students went to each other's SIs over the summer. Use that information as you will for guessing if what you've heard is true, because that's all it will be, a guess.

At least 2-3 dancers from my DD's pre-pro residency were accepted to IU this year and last year with scholarships. :) Good luck!!

My graduating class at OU actually had four freshman enter from the same ballet school with varying levels of scholarship.

Momof3darlings, do you have any knowledge on ballet schools recruiting only one student from a training school? We have been told colleges will not accept more than one dancer from a school. This seems like nonsense, but any experience on this is appreciated.

Thanks

Not true, in my experience (TCU). DD and another dancer in the program were from the same pre-pro.

Well, I guess we've busted another Urban Ballet Myth around here. I hope you're still going to the audition!!!!!