vrsfanatic

College Dance Fair(s)

84 posts in this topic

There do not seem to be any dance classes connected to this dance fair. What I found to be interesting were the classes taught by the faculty of the universities that participated at the College Dance Fair in Boca Raton. The reason the Dance Fair in Boca had a charge was to pay for the cost involved in having the faculty teach classes. It was very interesting to watch the various classes offered to see if various universities were a good fit for the students in our school. The registered students were able to take three classes a day and speak with the various faculty members about their programs.

It looks like they will be doing this program for a second year. Could anyone provide more information on how it was structured last year? Did students get to choose which classes they wanted to take? How much did the school representatives speak directly to the students? And most importantly, at least from a cost savings standpoint, were acceptances/scholarships offered to any students based solely on these classes?

Does anyone know which schools will be represented this year?

Last year each of the 3 studios held classes 3 or 4 times Saturday and Sunday. The students could pick which classes they wished to attend. The college representatives were available to talk to students and parents on Friday evening and Sunday evening I remember. They were all very nice and approachable. Since I was helping out and didn't have a dancer attending I can't comment on any acceptances etc.

Although subject to change the colleges I believe will be in attendance this year are: TCU, Butler, Juilliard, U of Arizona, UNCSA, CCM, Adelphi, Utah, and Indiana.

It looks as if the College Dance Fair is happening again this year! SMU & Tisch are coming.

I visited the website www.collegedancefair.org but they still had 2013 dates listed. Will there be any 2014 dates?

I sent them an email. They said that they would be having it again. They just had not had a chance to update the site yet. It will be Labor Day Week-End.

Sounds like a good opportunity!

Great to hear it will be happening again. Can anyone comment as to if any of the programs used as an audition? did any acceptances come from participating? Would love to participate but means airfare and hotel expenses, would be well worth it if it meant an audition or two could be accomplished.

My DD and I attended this past fall. While my DD did not receive any offers while there, she did have a couple schools show a strong interest in her. I am not aware of any students receiving offers, but I cannot say for sure. She was also able to cross a couple schools off her list after she took their classes. The studio which sponsored it tried to do a good job of making sure the college reps knew which students were seniors (they wore a green name tag) and which students were younger (their name tags were different colors). Packets including each student's resume, photo and basic dance info were given to all of the college reps also. In hindsight, I think it would be a really good event for a junior to attend. It offers a great starting point for looking at various schools and beginning the process of thinking about what you may want in a college dance program.

My daughter and I also attended this past Labor Day weekend and my daughter is a junior which was a perfect age to attend. As Dixie said it was a great starting point for thinking of what schools she would like to attend. Taking classes also gave her an idea of which ones might not be an option. She got advice from one to attend a summer intensive affiliated with a school you may want to apply to so you can get a good feel for the faculty and the campus. She heeded that advice and will do just that this summer. I don't know of any offers of acceptance, but if nothing else it gave the dancers a chance to network with faculty so they might remember them when they do audition. I loved that I got to hang out on the beach while she danced all day! :)

Looks like they are in the process of updating their website with the information for 2014. It does list the weekend as 8/29-8/31. Looking forward to taking my DD (a senior next school year) to this program and looking forward to seeing which schools will be in attendance.

My dd attended last year and it was an amazing experience. There were dancers from all over the country, and universities from all over. It was very helpful to take classes from the directors and deans from the nationally renowned schools. She is planning on attending this year as well. I'm not sure which colleges are coming this year. Does anyone know?

I was a little disappointed that the list of colleges wasn't more extensive. And I'm not sure how cost effective it would be to fly clear across the country to Florida, when some of the colleges would be much closer for us to visit personally. It might be more worth considering if actual acceptances were awarded, but it seems an expensive proposition just to be "invited to apply".

This was my disappointment with the RDA college auditions this year. Although there were a few actual scholarships awarded on gala night, the vast majority of the college results were simply invitations to apply. I didn't understand why we needed to audition simply to be invited to audition again.