vrsfanatic

College Dance Fair(s)

84 posts in this topic

The So Danca College Dance Fair 2015 was great! My DD is a junior in high school and she got to experience 6 schools in one weekend. Boca Ballet Theater was an exceptional host. Most of the master classes were taught by the directors, deans or assistant directors and deans. It is a great resource for those serious dance students and parents to invest in. This summer, we toured 2 of the participating colleges. To take class with a faculty member of each of those schools was indeed a great combination. We highly recommend this event!

that sounds like a great experience! I'd like to do this next year, when my daughter will be a rising junior. Do you think your daughter was able to rule out any programs based on the classes?

Dear tutumama,

My answer: I think she was able to rank them better! Now we dig deeper into finding out financial info,etc. And we are considering going again next year.

My DD's answer: " I did not rule out any of them but I was able to get a better understanding of their college programs. During the open house on Friday night, all of my questions were answered."

thank you!

At this College Dance Fair is there any indication of whether auditioning is worthwhile for a student? I hate to travel all over the country have my DD audition for colleges if she doesn't stand a chance. We know of people who have spent so much time and energy traveling for college auditions that were not fruitful.

Can she see her competition and know whether to throw in the towel or that she might be up to par or at least average?

I have heard that at places like U or Arizona they audition hundreds of students at once for a small number of spots.

Just wondering if the teachers or admissions counselors give any feedback to students or is it just a way to try out the classes.

Workmail,
When my daughter went a few years ago, it was just a chance to talk to representatives from the colleges and take a few classes with their instructors. No feedback is given. I think it just gives the dancer a feel for if this is a place for further investigation. We saw that some schools were not for her and some we liked. She got the best feedback from an instructor that told her to go to a summer intensive affiliated with a college she was interested in to get a feel for the campus and instructors. That is exactly what she did and is on her way home after completing her freshman year at the University of Utah as a Ballet and English major. It was great advice for her.

I ran this question by my DD who attended the College Dance Fair as a junior and did her college auditions this past year. We both felt that the College Dance Fair was worthwhile to attend but that, no, it does not provide a realible indication of whether auditioning is worthwhile for a student. My DD found it helpful to give some "direction" to her college search. The weekend included some general informational sessions about BA vs BFA, performance vs pedagogy, etc that we found helpful as newbies to the college search. It was also a good opportunity to learn about some programs and get a feel for their classes. My DD really enjoyed certain classes, loved one that she wouldn't have thought she'd like, and hated one that she ended up auditoning for, yet hated it again. If anything, it might give a false sense of standing. There are very strong dancers there, but there are only around 30-40 in a class. Those are not really the competition; its the whole 500-1000 that you don't see. We did not see any indication of feedback from instructors to the students about their chances except for one girl was seemed company ready and was really being pursued by the teacher from Butler.

Thanks! That is helpful to know. That makes sense that there are reputed dance programs that just may not have the right feel and the college bound student could really hate dancing there.

And congratulations to workingforshoes on the U of Utah.

Is this only held once a year? If so, we missed out this year and its dd's junior year. Would it still be worth it to go next year? Sept of her senior year? I'm not sure if we'll be able to afford it with the auditions that she will need to be heading off to!

Yes, this College Dance Fair happens every Labor Day weekend. There may be others. I have no idea. This one is well worth attending.

My DD went a couple of years ago as a Junior. However, the majority of the attendees were seniors.

"Dancing Through College and Beyond" is another opportunity. October 22. Probably not as extensive but useful.

http://dancewave.org/DTCB

Updated. Sorry about previous link.

djeowmom, that link took me only to a very broad description of an event without any specific details. I would have to begin a registration process in order to get "participant" information. I tried to go to the website by clicking on that tab, but it was a blind alley.

Is there a better source of information for this event-- with details like what colleges are being represented, format of participation, cost, etc?

I just found this for it and it looks interesting. Of course, it is a date my DD will be out of town on an audition : http://dancewave.org/DTCB

Thank you, diana13.