pmcolorado

Canadian Schools?

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone have information or know of another site or discussion board with information about some of the colleges/universities in Canada that offer dance programs? For some reason my daughter has it in her head that she wants to look into studying in Canada and I have no clue where to begin researching. Thank you!

We probably have a few threads here for you to look at. The Universities would be University of Toronto and Ryerson (Toronto); George Brown College (Toronto), Sheridan College (Oakville, west of Toronto) - in Ontario. Then University of Alberta and I am not so sure about the BC connection - perhaps Simon Fraser?

The following professional schools have a post-secondary program, but this is dance only: National Ballet School, Royal Winnipeg Ballet School, Quinte Ballet School. I believe Alberta Ballet School has a connection with University of Alberta as well as its own post-secondary program. You might also want to check into the Goh Academy.

There are also a few places in Quebec which are dance only, not connected with a College/University. I would have to look up exact names as I just don't have that information at my fingertips. My daughter says that in Montreal there are good classes at Ballet Divertimento - again stand alone dance classes - but if you attend University in that city you could continue some training. That said, McGill University (where my daughter attended) does not have a dance program.

I hope this information is helpful!

mom2

York University in Toronto also has a dance program--I've known people who went there.

And, a slight adjustment to mom2's post -- I have no knowledge of a dance program at the University of Toronto. (I suspect she meant York and mis-typed, since both schools are in Toronto.)

Depending on what your daughter's interest is in continuing to pursue dance, she might be interested in the affiliations between NBS's teacher training program and York and Simon Fraser (in British Columbia). Students can earn the teacher training diploma and university degree through a joint course of study.

Also, Concordia University in Montreal has a contemporary dance program (BFA).

Can anyone share with me the cost for the Alberta Ballet summer intensive?

I can tell you last years fees. This year dd is a year round residential student and this year's summer intensive are included in the yearly fees.

Summer School - non boarding - 2750.00

boarding - 5300.00

This does not include any extra activities.

Let me know if you need any further info:)

The school of Toronto Dance theatre has a joint program with York also. Sheridan College program is a triple threat program so you need to sing and act too

mamabear7,

Thank you so much! We are sending in a video audition this week I hope! How old is your DD?

HI Livviesmom, my dd is 17 and will graduate this June from the Professional Division. Good luck to you on the audition video...if you have any questions on what to expect let me and I will try to help.:)

Good luck to your daughter as well!

Adding to gav's post above about NBS's teacher training program, mostly for additional information's sake: RWB has a similar program. Both programs are considered college programs (college in Canada being different from college in the States), but NBS has the affiliation with Simon Fraser and York (and, unofficially, Ryerson) to create a five-year double degree. RWB's program is recognised as a teachable minor in a B.Ed. at UWinnipeg, and counts for up to 18 credit hours there.