Momof3darlings

2013-14 Company Audition Journey (US and Canada)

105 posts in this topic

My dd has just set up a paypal account using the debit card and her understanding is that Paypal offers another level of fraud protection while still allowing her to use a debit card. Anyone have experience with this?

Share this post


Link to post

I can't offer help with fraud protection on PapPal although I do have an account. I would think the fraud protection depends on the credit card or bank account it is linked to. I try to use one credit card with a rather modest limit for online purchases such as airfare and hotels etc just in case. If there's a problem the thief can't access too much $$. A couple of years ago we did have an account flagged several months after visiting dd in Europe. Someone tried to use our card number to purchase a ticket on Eurostar. The card company denied the charge.

Share this post


Link to post

I was told, the second time, by my bank where the card is issued that here (Germany) there is no way the bank or credit-card co. is going to contact me to ask about anything "suspicious", they will just pay. :o

They also made me go and report it to the police (the first time they did that), and though I did get the money back (each time) I was so incensed that I decided it was enough.

I do have a card through a relative's US bank, too, which I can use if I need to, and they DO watch out and get in contact if anything looks out-of-order.

I think things are more lax here in that regard, though not at all in other areas. :)

Paypal may be an alternative, but I do not know. I am not about to get another credit or debit card at any German bank anytime soon.

I am wanting to go to a barter system... ;)

 

-d-

Share this post


Link to post

Just so everyone is aware... if you have a card, or even a bank account at all... it can get hacked. My card was hacked several months ago from swiping it at a gas station. A thief had attached a card reader to the actual card reader at the pump & collected the information remotely. Within 24 hours about $1500 had been emptied from our account. It happened on a weekend, so the bank was not able to stop it & I didn't notice until Monday morning when I checked my account online. The bank did cover our losses once we filled out the proper paperwork. They told us that people are under the impression that if they don't use their accounts online or over the phone that they will be protected, but that is not the case these days.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know if this helps the credit card discussion, but I just sent a non dancing daughter to Europe for a semester at an Italian school. We found Capital One Master Card offers a card under my husband and my name, but with her name on it. We help coordinate things here, and she gets some credit history from the use of her card, and there is fraud protection. Also, there is no surcharge on purchases out of the country as there is with other cards.

 

We were told, after an identity theft issue, that debit cards are not the best choice for general use due to the access a thief has to your bank account. The bank at that time told us credit cards unlinked to a bank account are better. Yet, our non dancing daughter in Italy has difficulty paying for anything with plastic, and primarily uses cash. She obtains cash via a bank withdrawal.

Share this post


Link to post

Our cards have been compromised a few times. The first time it was the debit card, and I noticed it when doing my banking online. Went right away to the bank, they credited us the money and we had to fill out a form. One of the things you have to stipulate in the form is that you did not make these purchases - if they do an investigation and find otherwise then of course you may be in a bit of hot water.

 

Other times the bank has alerted us, and blocked the card.

Share this post


Link to post

I was told, the second time, by my bank where the card is issued that here (Germany) there is no way the bank or credit-card co. is going to contact me to ask about anything "suspicious", they will just pay. :o

 

So sorry, Diane...but this brings up another issue for traveling dancers. If you are going to travel internationally, call the bank that issues your card and have them make note in their system.

 

I have traveled internationally for a business trip and had an embarrassing denial of my card because it was a large dollar amount in a foreign country. It created a significant inconvenience for me to try to get it sorted out while the vendor stood there glaring at me only knowing the card was declined, but I am glad the bank at least flagged it.

 

I have also had an Australian auto parts store make small charges to my card that were not picked up by the bank - I had to contact the bank myself as soon as I noticed them. The good news is they took care of it right away, the bad news is that they said criminals make small charges to test out the account number to see if it will work for them, and then they make bigger charges. So it pays to keep an eye on your account online.

Share this post


Link to post

A dear friend's daughter is out on the audition circuit in the US. She reports classes of about 100-150 dancers at open auditions on the west and east coast for large and small companies. Her dd has made it to the final 5-10 in several auditions and each time is told we like you, will call you IF a position opens up. No contract or firm job offered...yet.

Could it still be too early for results?

Share this post


Link to post

As we have not had any reports via our Congratulations! thread (http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=55791), perhaps it is just early.

 

DD has had interest from a company that told her they wouldn't know their contract needs until sometime in April. So maybe it is just early-----or maybe there just aren't many contracts available this year due to economy, dancer & company contentedness, etc.

Share this post


Link to post

A lot of US AGMA companies don't require a dancer to commit to the next year's contract until March so it makes sense that it may not be until April that a company knows its needs for the next year.

Share this post


Link to post

And while budget talks might be ongoing, they tend to be voted on in March/April. So those "extra" contracts or contracts of those retiring won't be "open" until the new budget has been voted on and approved. This, post economic downturn, is also why those in Trainee/Apprentice positions might be hearing later about promotions also. Discussions will include whether they will fill a vacated position or not. In many recent years, the answer has been "not".

Share this post


Link to post

Congrats to those that have gotten renewed contracts and to those who are still waiting for good news. Like someone else said, I can't imagine having to go thru this process with two dancers. My dd is also out there auditioning and sending audition materials to everyone and anyone that might offer a job. So far no confirmed offers but has one offer for summer intensive with possibly a trainee/apprentice offer. Not exactly what we are hoping for since it would be so nice to have a confirmed offer for something without having to do the whole summer intensive thing. My prayers and fingers are crossed for not only my own dd but for all the dancers going thru this difficult audition process. Hope to hear more good news and to also post good news for my own dd real soon.

Share this post


Link to post

I echo everything everyone is saying here. We are waiting to hear as well. Definitely have the summer program offers and others but not quite the definitive news we want. It does seem to be early. Argh.

Share this post


Link to post

This will sound like a broken record after the previous responses but DD (graduating senior) is in the same boat. She has been to some auditions and sent a few DVDs out. She has 2 "need to attend the SI first" offers and 2 "you are being considered for Trainee/2 Company but we won't know until April" responses.

 

We actually owe responses to 2 summer programs today and I am pulling my rapidly-greying hair out! What is everyone else doing about summer plans? How are we supposed to make a decision when don't have complete results yet?

Share this post


Link to post

I know your pocket book doesn't want to hear this but if it we us, we would pay the deposit on the SI that seemed the best fit or potential for a future contract and if something better comes along, we would notify the SI of our change in plan and forfeit the deposit. There will be plenty of dancers waiting for that SI spot to open so no harm to the SI.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.