WAballet

Obituary- David Howard

20 posts in this topic

David Howard passed away as just posted on a Facebook by YAGP.

Very sad news :(

Ballet.co.uk and Dance Magazine as well as his Facebook site report that he passed away last night, He will be missed by so many and his gifts live through those that he taught and inspired.

Very sad to hear this. He was a mentor to so many dancers, most notably Gelsey Kirkland.

One of DD's instructors danced with him at Royal Ballet and she was just talking about him the other day. So sorry to hear this. He will definitely be missed.

So very sorry to hear this. He was an inspiration to many, many dancers.

David was a true teacher, totally devoted, knowledgeable, passionate, and loved by many, many dancers everywhere. He will be missed but remembered with great affection from all in the ballet world. May he rest in peace.

Oh no! My DD was fortunate to take a couple of his classes this summer. May he rest in peace.

He was my teacher at Harkness House... I loved his classes and his kind, engaging personality... He shall truly be missed by all who ever worked with him...

This is so sad and I am so sorry. I booked a trip to NYC in october to take his class.... :-( I have nearly all of his CDs and I wanted to take class with this true balletmaster. It's a big loss for the balletworld.

A student of mine was fortunate enough to take classes with him a couple of years ago. She said he was a bit doddery on his feet, but still an amazing teacher. So sad to hear of his passing - he was a legend in his own right.

He was doddery on his feet! But oh so descriptive! I finally braved class with him last summer - he had a cane, could barely get up to the second floor, and they pulled in a barre to be right in front of him so he could pull himself up and 'demonstrate'. I was so glad that I went to his class, and even more glad now - even in that short 1.5 hours - inspirational. He reminded me not just to focus on the technique, but on the enjoyment... and his reminders were infectious. As others, I'm beyond sad to hear of his passing. RIP.

Thank you, doubleturn. He was an inspiration for so many dancers and will be missed.

I wish we had more teachers like him. Perhaps lack of artistry would not be such an issue today where thinness and tricks rule the day.